Advice on a central heating/hot water system for low pressure and flow rate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been living in our bungalow for a couple of years now with our current Ariston Combi boiler system (which I've heard nothing but bad things about ever since moving in!!) servicing 4 bedrooms and a bathroom and en suite. It has actually been fine until recently when the hot bath tap keeps going cold, then hot, then cold, then hot, etc... because the combi boiler keeps firing up the new cutting out.

I've had a few companies out to look at it who have all diagnosed that the heat exchanger needs replacing. Given the cost of replacing this, and some impending building works on an extension which will add another bathroom, enough is enough and I will replace the boiler!

From what I've read and heard a combi boiler isn't sufficient enough to cope with 2 showers running at the same time, or a shower running and the bath so I started to look at an unvented system. However more research into this is showing me that you need a decent water flow rate and water pressure!! Our water pressure (on the outside tap) is 3 bar which drops to 2 bar working pressure. Water flow is approximately 9 litres per minute.

So I have a few of questions really.

1. Is an unvented system actually going to work
  2. Am I ok moving the boiler (and possibly hot water cylinder depending on whether an unvented solution will work?) into the loft... the current position of the boiler means it needs to move anyway when the building work gets started.
  3. I think the water pipes carrying the water from the road to the bungalow are lead pipes so could be corroded and stemming the water flow. I was going to replace those to see if it will improve the current flow rate (not sure if it will improve pressure?)... would this be worth doing?
  4. What would actually be the best solution?! Any recommendations on boilers would be great too, so far we've had quotes for Worcester Bosch, Alpha and Ideal Logic+ boilers on unvented systems.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated (y)

Sponsored Links
Get water board out to check the pressure and flow rate at their side of the incoming stopcock.

You will then know if it is restricted on your side and can make an informed decision on upgrading the main to your property.

Your old lead(?) main could be furred up and down to a fraction of its original bore or crushed in one or more areas.

Combi or unvented will always be governed by the mains flow and pressure, the only difference is that with a uv cylinder, the flow rate will not be further restricted by the plate heat exchanger of a combi, during the heating process.

Thank you Dilalio, I've got Southern Water coming to test the pressure/flow at the road and the property on Wednesday. Let's see what they say!

If it is a case of replacing the pipe work from the road to our bungalow is it an easy enough job to do yourself? From what I can see it's a case of digging a trench and laying some blue pipe to get the water to the bungalow. And something about getting the water board to check the connection when it's done (n)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back