Advice on a very dodgy double glazing fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Had some double glazing fitted a year ago. Am going through the process of seeking compensation from the company if I can ever get hold of them, but would really appreciate a steer on a couple of points.

As you can see from the photo's, inside and out, the sealant has either dissapeared and created gaps between the window and brick / plaster or has lifted etc. I am confused as to why this is likely to have happended - wrong silicone, badly fitted - any ideas?

I also have the wind issue referred to by many. One of the photos shows a device they fitted to resolve it, which it didn't do - is this normal or were they fobbing me off |(the noise started before the silicone started peeling away). It now also makes some of the windows difficult to open thanks to the dvices.

Thridly the french doors have a slight breeze coming through. He tells me its normal and they cannot be fitted any tighter - is this true?

If I re do the silicone myself any recommendations on the best type?

Any advice / guidance appreciated.

Thanks all.

I

Sponsored Links
pic 1 - silicone lifting indoors
pic 2 silicone peeling outside
pic 3 the french doors
pic 4 silicone peeling underneath the windows
pic 5 the devices to stop the wind

thanks everyone for any guidance

rob

i kind of had these issues too when had my windows changed.
i fitted some P style rubber type tape around the window to seal it properly and i had the wind noise too,when it wasnt the missus parpin i found out it was actually the plaster around the windows had expanded and created a some what cavity,so i drilled a hole in the wall and put some expanding foam in there,stopped the wind noise that night.

this is what i used around the windows

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/33145...therstrip/EPDM-Rubber-P-Strip-6mm-x-20m-White

i would just re-silicone where it has come away,use some anti fungal stuff and should be fine

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for your reply. Appears everyone has these issues.

Did you use the rubber p strip around all the windows or french doors. Not sure if they will fit on mine has they have put decorative strips on the inside - but will have a look.

In relation to the foam, did you drill from the inside?

It all looks a bit rough but some pics. taken further back may give a better impression of the overall quality of the fitting job. The story he’s spinning you about the French doors is a total load of carp; I have 4 sets all 1.8m wide & have no draughts at all but mine are quality Rehau units. That extra catch is a total bodge & should not be necessary & you shold not have to fit additional P seals; everyone DOES NOT have these problems & you should not be having any of them!

Were the company FENSA registered?
Did you receive a certificate of registration from FENSA?
Were you provided with any 3rd party independent warranty?
What make/quality are the units?
How many windows were involved & much did you pay?

Chances are they’ve also used the wrong silicone; don’t use anti-fungal bathroom stuff, you must use a good quality low modulus, neutral cure frame sealant.

yes fensa registered
yes received the fensa cert
yes 3rd party warranty
units from the veka network (who provide the 3rd party warranty)
15 windows, 2 sets of french doors, 1 front door - £8k

the veka network state the warrasnty only comes into play if the company stops trading, the difficulty is the man who owns the company does not respond to letters/emails or phone calls. they did cpome back a few times after fitting but never actually made any difference. am pursuing via trading standards but haven't got my hopes up.

fensa say its nothing to do with them!

from a distance they look ok, but i more concerned about the noise and the finish. i really dont understand how the silicone has simply deteriorated. its very frustrating.

does any one have any idea how i can confirm if the company has stopped trading. they are not a limited company so cannot use companies house.

cheers all.

yes fensa registered
yes received the fensa cert
yes 3rd party warranty
units from the veka network (who provide the 3rd party warranty)
15 windows, 2 sets of french doors, 1 front door - £8k
Price isn’t too bad but it’s not particularly good either; I would have said around £7 - £7.5k & for that money you should expect good quality units & a quality installation, including external making good (internal usually extra)
the veka network state the warrasnty only comes into play if the company stops trading, the difficulty is the man who owns the company does not respond to letters/emails or phone calls. they did cpome back a few times after fitting but never actually made any difference.
am pursuing via trading standards but haven't got my hopes up.
Sounds like your doing the right things but I’m surprised the company is so small it isn’t registered, perhaps there is good a reason! Have you sent a recorded delivery letter to their trading address which is presumable on their invoice? If you haven’t already, do this stating the list of faults to be put right & a reasonable time by which you expect it to be done; then it’s time to get tough. Keep pushing the company & trading standards, they can be a little complacent if they suspect your heart isn’t really in it & take the company to court if you have to. It’s how the cowboys keep out of trouble, if no one bothers to pursue creditor or warranty claims, the company never gets wound & if it doesn’t get wound up the 3rd part warranty is worthless, as you say. I’m not a big fan of legislation but if we must have it, it should have teeth & be strictly enforced so that cowboys can’t continue to rip off the unsuspecting.

fensa say its nothing to do with them!
I don’t see how FENSA can say it’s nothing to do with them, they are (one of) the regulating authorities that are supposed to guarantee the windows & installation complies with building regulations. If one of their registered installers is not complying with standards, they are supposed to check & take the necessary action if it isn’t; otherwise what’s the point of having a registered authority. I had a problem with an OFTEC registered installer on a new oil tank installation & they were very helpful ensuring the guy did what he had been paid for & provided the necessary compliance certificate.

thanks richard

this is what fensa said

Dear Rob thanks for the information you have passed on to us however we noticed that the problems you mentioned fall within the quality and workmanship category. Please note that quality and workmanship issues do not come within the FENSA remit. FENSA is a self certification scheme for replacement window/door companies to register to self certify that the replacement windows/doors they install comply to documents L1 and N of the building regulations that came into force in April 2002 and that the following Building Regulations are not compromised by the replacement, A (Structure) B (Escape in case of Fire) F (Ventilation) M (Access and facilities for the disabled) K (Protection from falling, collision & Impact) J (combustion appliances and fuel storage).

this is the company - avoid at all costs!

http://www.britanniaconservatories.co.uk/index.html

this is what fensa said

FENSA is a self certification scheme for replacement window/door companies to register to self certify that the replacement windows/doors they install comply to documents L1 and N of the building regulations that came into force in April 2002 and that the following Building Regulations are not compromised by the replacement, A (Structure) B (Escape in case of Fire) F (Ventilation) M (Access and facilities for the disabled) K (Protection from falling, collision & Impact) J (combustion appliances and fuel storage).
What a cop out & a total load of shiseters :evil: it's only parts L & N that are really relevant to replacement windows anyway! I would write back to FENSA & say that the freekin gales blowing in around windows & doors that have been so poorly installed means that the installation cannot possibly meet the minimum heat loss requirements of “Part L1B – Conservation of Heat & Energy in Existing Dwellings”; it may rattle their cage if nothing else! Also try contacting your LABC to see what they say; they probably won’t be interested but it’s worth poking them in the eye, if your attempting to comply with BR’s by using a company that’s registered with a self certification scheme (FENSA) & your LABC agree that the installation doesn’t comply with Part L, I don’t see how FENSA can argue with that!

thanks, have written back to fensa. frsutratingly the royal mail have told me the recorded delivery letter i sent has been lost with no attempt to deliver - typical.

thanks for all the guidance.

Fernando,
I have a similar problem to you.
I had double glazing installed about 18 months ago and the installers had Fensa displayed on their van. When they carried out the work I received a certificate from a body called Certass. It later came to light that the installers had not installed toughened glass where necessary. I contacted Certass and they were not quick to help. Only when I threatened to get the LABC involved did Certass force the installers to replace the glass.

For information these were the installers

www.deanbrookwindows.co.uk

I have now threatened legal action (not that I expect him to do anything) and discovered that the fit didn't cover buidling regs as he didn't fit tickle vents.

Fensa are just about to suspend his registration. Happy days.

Anyone have any experience of going through the small claims court?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back