Advice on adding a CH zone please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm after some advice please on adding a zone to our existing central heating system. I'm quite confident with plumbing itself, and the wiring involved, but i have a few questions that i hoped someone might be able to answer for me.

The boiler is a 2006/7 Ideal c24 mini HE combi.

I would like the existing main heating circuit to be independant of the room that the new rad is going into.

Ideally, I would fit 2 x 2 port valves, however my concern is that as the valves would be mounted on the pipe work about 12inches below the boiler, and if a bypass valve is required, this would be too close to the boiler to be effective if the boiler is over running and both valves are shut. Am I correct? Does anyone know if a bypass valve is required with my boiler? We have a permanently open rad on the existing circuit, but this isn't a lot of use is the zones are closed.

As a way around this, i thought about a mid 3 port valve which i understand are normally used to control a CH/HW system. My logic being that water will always be able to flow through at least one of the ports if neither zones are calling for heat. Can a 3 port valve be used in this way to control 2 CH zones instead of 1CH and 1HW zone?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Could you use some sort of overrun signal from the boiler to hold open one of the zone valves during the overrun ? Would need careful planning as the valve switches on the boiler in the first place !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back