Advice on adhesive and grout please?

btd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am tiling my ensuite....

I have covered the floor with 18mm marine ply and replaced the plasterboard in the shower area with 12mm wbp.

Should I tank the ply or not?

I have heard that tiles may fall off if I tank as the adhesive wont stick to it properly.

Also can someone recommend some adhesive and grout?

I was thinking of using a flexible anti-fungal waterproof adhesive?

Sponsored Links
If it is going to be a wet room then i would tank as ply (even the so called water reisistant stuff) does not like sitting in water for prolonged periods of time. If it is not going to be a wet room i would not bother as water will not be on the floor very much or in large quanities. If you do decide to tank then you can buy floor primer (silicon based product) to help the tiles stick.

Marine ply is way OTT for the floor, WBP uses the same waterproof adhesives in manufacture but doesn’t look so good; as already stated, you don’t need to tank unless it’s a wet room. Personally I wouldn’t have used WBP for the shower area; either Aquapanel (or similar) & tiled direct or, if you really must use plasterboard, make it Moisture Resistant & tank it. Now you’ve fitted the ply, I would tank it also.

Use flexible adhesive & grout & priming depends on you’re tiles & which type of adhesive you use. You won't go far wrong with this stuff but I am biased;

http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products

Thanks for the advise lads

I tried to source Aquapanel but nowhere in Ireland seems to stock it!

I got a good deal on the marine ply, was cheaper than the 18mm wbp.

It is not a wet room.

Richard, do you agree with robbo that I should not bother tanking since it is not a wet room?

Sponsored Links
just tank round any shower area, the floor defo soes not need it if its a normal bathroom.

You don't need to tank the floor but I would tank the 12mm WBP youve put up for the walls inside the shower cubicle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back