Advice on basement digging out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a basement.
My house is on a slope, semi-detached, with my neighbour slightly higher up than me on the hill.
The entrance to my basement is at the lower end of the hill via a door, where the two rooms are normal full height. In the middle of the house is a concrete wall which goes up through to the living room and kitchen.
Behind this wall in the basement, it looks like the foundation steps up to about 4ft for the neighbours house (there was a hole in the wall when we moved in)

When I went into the other side, I actually found its just a couple of inches of concrete cap, so I dug down along the corner of the side/party wall, and I hit a step a few inches further down, then what looks like a flat concrete surface (shown in attached picture)
My question is, before paying for an engineer to come out to take a look at knocking the wall through and putting a rsj in, I want to see where this foundation steps down to see if it's worth it.
So is it safe to follow the edge of the right hand side until I come to a step?

If it's too far, it's not worth me carrying on at all. So wondered if any experts here can help.

I can get more pictures if needed of the area. And any other advice to do before getting an engineer out and them saying I need to do something else before they can continue?

Many Thanks.

Attachments

• 20170202_191308.jpg
    20170202_191308.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back