Advice on best boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
OK, I know you get this a lot and I apologise. I've read a lot of posts regarding the 'best' boiler and I'm not asking for that, only some advice on who to believe and your own boiler preference.

The situation:
A three storey town house. Gas enters at ground floor front door, rises to boiler which is in an airing cupboard on outside wall on top floor bedroom (not the attic) and my estimate of rough length of pipe is ~8-12m. 20l p/m flow, 4 bar pressure (tested 18-10-19). Gas pipe is currently 22mm from meter. I estimate 7-8 90-degree turns from the meter.
The current boiler is a Potterton Powermax HE 85, now got the dreaded E.42 error having been repaired once.
Three bedrooms, 1 bath, additional shower en-suite. Unlikely lots of hot water to be used all at once but possible. More important not to run out halfway through a shower!

My quandary:
1) I have had various advice from various engineers quoting for the job. Some say no gas pipe upgrade needed if keeping under 35Kw, some say they can upgrade just the meter or so around the gas meter, others say a new pipe is needed all the way up to the boiler. I realise you cannot say for certain without seeing the situation yourselves but what do I believe?
2) Been quoted for Ideal, Vaillant, Worcester, Viessmann, Intergas. All between 32-40Kw, except the Viessmann 111-W which has a tank and he is suggesting the 26Kw without gas pipe upgrade, although this would seem underpowered to me once the 46L tank is empty?

My questions:
1) What is the general advice by your good selves considering I have a conflicting range of advice by professional engineers?
2) Which of the above boilers is worth considering for reliability and longevity?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
A

Sponsored Links
I'd go for an Intergas and a small unvented cylinder there (120L) on a hot water priority setup

Sponsored Links
Or black if you like the new Worcester?

upload_2019-11-6_21-20-39.jpeg

How are they going to upgrade the meter ?? think you have misunderstood somewhere along the line

My apologies, bad wording, I meant they would upgrade the pipe from the meter to the point where it disappears into the house.
A

My apologies, bad wording, I meant they would upgrade the pipe from the meter to the point where it disappears into the house.
A
yes that sounds like good advice, modern boilers need a better gas supply for hot water delivery, but they wouldnt be able to upgrade the gas meter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back