Advice on Block work corners for extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm taking too long with my corner work.
Filling the blocks in between are easy.

I'm cobalt checking that the block is level from all sides then using a small level to check the block itself. Then I'm checking that it's 9 inches in height.

I don't have a builders profile. But there must be a quicker way.

Any tips, advice from the pros appreciated

:)

Sponsored Links
You can use a straight length of 4x2 or similar as a profile, clamp or screw to corners making sure its plumb, mark the gauge up in 225mm increments on profile ,attach line to marks using corner blocks or put screw on mark and put line on screw,and repeat as you go up.
Bricklayers don't normally use profiles for blockwork, as it only takes 15mins to build a full height corner, as a novice the best advice i can give is to make sure all materials are to hand including cuts if known,and spend time setting everything out before you start laying,good luck.

Level the blocks first before plumbing. Once you have levelled them leave them and plumb the two sides. Then range the top corners in of the end blocks (level put diagonally down the top corners to line them in flat). Then don't mess with them again. Lay the next course

You may find it easier and quicker to use your lump hammer to adjust the blocks with soft taps not heavy whacks. leave the hammer on the top of the wall where you wont be laying a block

Get used to laying your 20mm or so bed that compresses down to 10mm or so, so to avoid having the bang it about.

Strictly you should be gauging down from the head of your door or window frame heights not gauging up from the DPC or anywhere else. So you need to check regularly against the head heights or a pre-marked datum.

Mark the gauge on your level so that when you plumb you can check the gauge.

Just check the gauge over 4 courses or so, not every course. Get the courses near enough and then see how you are going on the 4th course and then adjust subsequent courses.

Sponsored Links
It’s one of those where if you’re only doing it as a one off, as opposed to every day, it’s never going to be easy. Take your time and don’t mix it too dry so it instantly unbonds to the block as soon as you shift it a bit to level it up. Nice plasticised mix, even things like trying to get it level by eye as you lay it, rather than randomly plonk it down, just come with experience
PS there’s probably no such word “unbonds” but it’s all I could think of

Please let me know what you find is the best technique.... I'm just building up 3 blocks to DPM at the moment....Its taking me ages! I think i'm worrying too much about getting it perfect?

Please let me know what you find is the best technique.... I'm just building up 3 blocks to DPM at the moment....Its taking me ages! I think i'm worrying too much about getting it perfect?

I'm 8 blocks above dpc. Are you using trench blocks? As any cavity 225mm below (1 block) needs to be filled with concrete.

I used foundation blocks. Normal block one before dpc. Don't forget wall ties. Start at edges to allow insulation to sit.

Also air bricks and wall starter kit to tie wall in. Once above dpc its not too bad.

Are you having concrete floor or suspended timber?

I learnt a lot from YouTube, research online and this forum and its members have been awesome. Special thanks to @^woody^ who has given me great advice on many different topics.

And finally don't get overwhelmed. You will get there in the end. I find bricklaying therapeutic :)

Like you I am perfectionist. Take your time. Read my other threads as i've asked many questions on my build.

All the best.

Yes its great when you get going! Just trying to get the lines run and everything square(ish) took me ages! Weather here has been terrible so I keep having to cover and come in. Im getting braver though and actually put a mix on before I finished the mortar I was using. Hehe

I couldn't get hold of trench blocks, I'm only 200mm below ground level with my concrete so have gone with concrete blocks.

I'm wondering if I need wall ties in my second course of blocks under DPC? Need to order some ballast to fill the cavity (8:1 I think it is), I did ask if I needed weep holes above the concrete mix but no one saw the question...

I'm still pondering what to do about airbricks - I might core cut and use a tumble dryer style vent, or perhaps a large airbrick on its side might match better? I'm thinking of black jacking the bottom blockwork below DPC so some black vents might look OK.

BC have said a concrete floor would be OK. I'm not sure I can be bothered to smash out the current concrete patio bits to get low enough for a timber floor. I think you need membrane and 50mm concrete then an airgap before the joists?

I have been watching you tube loads, stu, charlie, rob songer ,chris longhurst and skill builder! Recommend any others?

I will have a look at your other threads, great to see what other people are doing!

I'm 8 blocks above dpc. Are you using trench blocks? As any cavity 225mm below (1 block) needs to be filled with concrete.

I used foundation blocks. Normal block one before dpc. Don't forget wall ties. Start at edges to allow insulation to sit.

Also air bricks and wall starter kit to tie wall in. Once above dpc its not too bad.

Are you having concrete floor or suspended timber?

I learnt a lot from YouTube, research online and this forum and its members have been awesome. Special thanks to @^woody^ who has given me great advice on many different topics.

And finally don't get overwhelmed. You will get there in the end. I find bricklaying therapeutic :)

Like you I am perfectionist. Take your time. Read my other threads as i've asked many questions on my build.

All the best.

Weather has not favored me either. I've had to cover up many times also. Use plasterciser in the mix. Below dpc is 3:1 mix. Above 5:1 is fine but I'm using 4:1 (easier to work out)

Don't think you will need wall ties for 1st two courses if you are filling up with concrete but best double check.

I'm going for suspended floor but think concrete is superior for kitchen.

I also watched rodian builds. Stu is bad one to watch as he is perfectionist and his style is too time consuming in the real world. I did start of like him measuring and leveling every trench block lol but I soon realised it wasn't necessary especially if it to be rendered afterwards.

I took my time squaring. Use a long 2 by 1piece to help. Mine is not full width with property so a bit more difficult.

For corners I've used the 1/4 and 3/4 block method as I find it easier but there are different ways.

Here is a pic

IMG_20201025_124619.jpg

Ah yes, I have watched Rodian Builds too!

How does rendering work around those air bricks?

I have a large stanley square but still struggled as I couldn't get the square level to my lines. I have checked it now the first course is in and its pretty good

Managed to get some really nice mortar mixes today and laid about 30 (?) blocks, shame its work tomorrow! Pic is from this morning. Have now completed first courses all the way around...

Attachments

• 2020-11-01-12.04.08-smol.jpg
    2020-11-01-12.04.08-smol.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 235
I like both Rodian Builds and Stu Crompton. Has been very helpful for my build, as have all the folks on this forum :)

@SpecialK one of the most helpful things stu crompton said was about not bothering with the stand for his mixer.

I’ve got the same one as you, although older as it’s blue, and was lugging it on and off the stand and tipping the mortar into a wheel barrow (and missing).

Since then I just have it on the floor and shovel a full bucket load of mortar out of the mixer at a time which is enough for a spot board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back