corner glass window in extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently at the foundations dig out phase of a single storey rear extension and need some advice. This is being undertaken on a building notice. The roof structure will be traditional, outer brick skin, inner concrete block 4 inch cavity.

I have a koi pool as a feature in my garden, which has two thick, heat sealed, laminated windows in it and from the extension I would want to be able to see this fully. I would like to have a corner piece of glass as a window say from counter height but not fully to the top leaving a couple of course of brick at the top. I was thinking about using a corner catnic lintel but just wanted to feel out, how in practice this would work.

When I did the koi pool I fibreglassed the pool and was able to create a lip for the windows to press into, thus creating a very good waterproof seal.

Firstly, how would I integrate a corner piece of glass with the brick and block work, would I do this in much the same way as I did with the koi pool i.e. create a lip either side and press it in?

Secondly, from a regs point of view, what specifically would I need to be mindful of when further considering a piece of glass like this.

If push came to it I would consider two separate pieces of glass on each side of the walls, so creating a pillar in between them, but I really wanted to avoid this so I had unobstructed views of the lit pool in the evenings.

Thanks in advance, any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andyman

Sponsored Links
On a Notice! Nuts!

Hi Freddie, from a building size point of view this meets the criteria and we have had our first inspection and all is well. There are absolutely no reasons save for some thoughts going around in my head about wanting to depart from a traditional square window as to why I would need full planning permission for this type of build.

Is your concern about load bearing issues and the corner glass? Do you have any other suggestions that I could consider/

many thanks

Andyman

Sounds amazing, I do hope you post photos on the projects forum here!! No idea about your question though, sorry

Sponsored Links
I think you'll need a structural engineer to design a corner lintel.

as to why I would need full planning permission for this type of build.

Is your concern about load bearing issues and the corner glass? Do you have any other suggestions that I could consider/

In your terminology your mixing up 'fill planning permission' with building control 'full plsns' approval, which is prior approval of your structure and design, rather than relying on your builders skill and crystal ball.

Although what you propose is possible, it's unusual and personnaly I wouldn't want to do it on notice and then be at the whim of an inspectors opinion post-hoc. Perhaps you already intended to get him to give your the nod on this aspect of the structure before proceeding?

Do you want to join two double units at the corner, or solid pieces of glass? Presumably the latter too avoid the ugly spacer bar being in the middle of your field of vision. Either way I think you'll need a frame around the outside to insulate the glass from any small structural movement that would otherwise crack it.

I think most of the off the shelf corner lintels have steel posts. Are you getting one designed without a post, double cantilevered, so to speak? Sounds very cool!

Just buy a corner window. You can't joint double glazed units unless you have a mullion, you can join single glazed but BC would not allow you to do this normally under a notice.
The 'pre-made' corner lintels are expensive but you don't need a SE, so get a price and see what it works out as.

Edit.
I am wrong, if you use a stepped unit you can, but you'll get a black line where the spacer are, plus you have a cold bridge. You'll also make to make sure they don't use hotmelt to seal the units.
butt-glaze-detail[1].jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if catnic and the likes do a cantilevered corner lintels but they are available with posts.

Hi Freddie, from a building size point of view this meets the criteria and we have had our first inspection and all is well. There are absolutely no reasons save for some thoughts going around in my head about wanting to depart from a traditional square window as to why I would need full planning permission for this type of build.

many thanks

Andyman
An off the shelf corner lintel needs a column which the OP want’s to avoid - so that will need a structural engineers solution to design some cantilevered corner beams and avoid cold bridges in the walls and integrating it with the roof may be tricky. As for the glazing unit It can be done, two special double glazed units can be butted up against each other within a specially made frame, in conjunction with finding a good window supplier prepared to make special units/frames unless an off the peg solution exists of which I’m not aware of, at least in the UK. Or a single glazed solution (butt glass window) can be made to work with some structural glass (££££s), subject to SAP cacs for example. All with a good designer doing a bit of design, some drawings and the liaison between the various parties that would be involved to find a practical solution and achieve the desired outcome. Nothing stopping you getting handy with the designing and liaising part yourself though of course – this is a DIY site afterall.

But as mentioned – on a Notice per se? The very least it will need is some proper design input and now before you get any further out of the ground or you’ll just end up with a dogs dinner and compromising somewhere or building yourself into a hole!

What about a diagonal window but let the roof run out past it like the peak on a baseball cap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back