Advice on building a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I've been doing some research on this topic but not really fgot anywhere with it. Basically I live in an end terrace house. My garden can be accessed by the side of my house where there is no wall or gate so I need to build something suitable for keeping people out. It gets a bit windy in the winter so this is what I was thinking.

double skinned wall about 2.5 - 3 metres long and about a metre to a metre and a half tall. A pillar at either end of the wall about 6 ft high. In between the pillars and sitting on top of the wall I would have either iron railings or a wood panel that I would make myself.

My questions are:

Would I need planning permission for a 6ft high pillar?
would I need to reinforce the pillars?
how deep and wide should I make the foundations?

I'm hoping that this is something I can do myself. I do most other things really well and have mixed plenty of mortar and cement before.

So what do you think?

Sponsored Links
I think the rule about planning permission is that you'll need PP if it's more than 1m high and is either at the front of the property, or, forms a border between your property and a public road (path?).

You can find out for sure from the planning portal website - just google it.

no you don't need planning

yes I would do a brick and a half pier each end with re bar in the middle

footings 450 wide 225 to 300 deep

Just took the liberty of checking as I thought that sounded wrong:-

"You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate and:

• it would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere; or"

Depends whether the path you're talking about counts as the "footpath to a highway" I guess!

Sponsored Links
I checked that too. My path shouldn't be counted as on the highway, It just goes around my house and there is another house the other side of it about 20 feet away on a newer housing development. They wouldn't come into contact with the wall at all either, we're seperated by a 6ft wooden fence too. I just have this big space around the side of my house that anyone would be able t get down without being noticed and it needs plugging. Thanks for the tips. now I can research the hell out of how to do everything properly and get it one. :mrgreen:

double skinned wall about 2.5 - 3 metres long and about a metre to a metre and a half tall. A pillar at either end of the wall about 6 ft high. In between the pillars and sitting on top of the wall I would have either iron railings or a wood panel that I would make myself.
So a nice easy-to-climb-over structure. A wall 1-1.5m high to stand on, then a fence 33-83cm high to swing a leg over.

So a nice easy-to-climb-over structure. A wall 1-1.5m high to stand on, then a fence 33-83cm high to swing a leg over.

Precisely;

Why not do what everyone else does and put up a 2m fence?? - quicker, cheaper, easier to do and more difficult to climb.

Thanks, I realise it isn't ideal.

I mentioned a few options ot my wife and she liked the idea of a brick wall with a bit of fencing on it. I think she thought it would be more decorative. I looked into iron railings as out neighbours have those but think my wife thought they would make the place seem like a prison.

We'll have to reach a compromise.

I mentioned a few options ot my wife and she liked the idea of a brick wall with a bit of fencing on it. I think she thought it would be more decorative.
It would be.

But easy to climb over.

I looked into iron railings as out neighbours have those but think my wife thought they would make the place seem like a prison.

We'll have to reach a compromise.
20136721493084532.jpg

:mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back