Advice on central heating system - very basic question!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought my first house and am feeling a little daft as I don't fully understand the heating system. I am fine with the time settings, fine with the thermostat, fine with the fact that most the radiators can be turned up or down with TRWs. However, the box next to the boiler for controlling the timings does not isolate the central heating from the hot water. At this time of year that is fine as I can have the heating on for an hour or two in the morning and two or three hours in the evening and I have enought hot water.

What I am concerned about is in the summer. Will I have to have the heating on at the same time as the hot water? How do I control this? Do I turn the thermostat down (or will this mean the boiler never fires into life) or do I just turn all of the radiators down? My only concern with that is that maybe its not the most efficient way of doing it.

Help! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the programmer??
If you turn the room stat down then the heating shouldnt get hot but the water should !!

Sponsored Links
However, the box next to the boiler for controlling the timings does not isolate the central heating from the hot water.
This sounds like a single channel programmer/timeswitch, which is often used on a combi boiler. This is why I and Bahco asked about the boiler first.

Its a Baxi Boston 2 O F

Definitely not a combi!

It could be that you have a pumped CH, gravity HW system.

The box next to the boiler for controlling the timings does not isolate the central heating from the hot water.
If you can post a pic of this, or give details (make, model no) that would help. Are you saying that there are no switches marked HW or CH?

There are no HW or CH markings. I had a heating system like that before but this one is definitely not the same.

I can't see any other info telling you what its called apart from Baxi Boston 2 O F.

I'll try and get some pictures up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back