Advice on correct concrete mixture for front drive repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some advice on getting the right concrete mixture for repairing my front drive.

There's two small patches of the front drive that stick out like a sore thumb. I think someone just mixed sand & cement (mostly cement!) so the patches look a silvery grey or off white colour and have a smooth surface.

The rest of the drive however looks like what's in the attached photos ie slightly light brown/cream in colour with tiny (different colour) stones to make the surface rough to the touch.

I'd like to redo the two patches that stick out but need advise on the right concrete mixture so that this time the patches will match the rest of the front drive (in colour & texture) once they've hardened.

Many thanks
IMG1_2018068-1.jpg
IMG2_20180608-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Apologies... I seem to have uploaded the photos twice! should be only 2 not 4! :)

+++++
fixed
mod
+++++

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to me like your drive is made up of badly worn and weathered, home made slabs.

In order to replicate that look, you either need to cast a slab using aggregate sourced from the same place as the originals, with the same manufacturer of cement along with exactly the same ingredient ratios as original and leave that slab out in exactly the same weather conditions as those laid for about 40 years....or....become a magician.

Sponsored Links
you could dig out the bbad ones and pour a semi-dry mix of sand and cement and stone.smooth off with a float or block of wood. as it dries sprimkle some same coloured stone chippings an lightly rub them down into the mix. just before it sets you could even wash any cement paste off the chippings.

its called exposing aggregate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back