Advice on disabled fire escape routes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been asked to quote for fitting a disabled ramp to used as an escape route in case of fire. Unfortunately to get the gradient I need I will be going over an inspection chamber. I know that I can get modular ramps where you can have an access panel for the chamber cover, or I can build a cement and brick ramp and raise the chamber so it is flush with the ramp surface. Moving the inspection chamber completely out the way is not really a viable option. What I can't find is if having the inspection chamber on the ramp is allowed. Having on a general ramp is of no issue but because this is solely being used as a fire escape route Im not sure if that changes things. I've looked through Regs K, B2 and M and there's no mention of it anywhere. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Maybe others can advise, but I would have thought as long as you can get a MH cover that fully complies with Building Regs & BS then you should be ok.

Just give your local Building Control dept. a quick call, explain the situation & I'm sure they'll provide guidance.

You would build the ramp to whatever specification you were given, and it does not matter if a MH cover is within the ramp

The only thing to ensure, is that the cover is sufficiently slip resistant

I would consider leaving the existing lid as is, and building a new, wider chamber around it with a wider inset cover on the surface. Then you are not altering the manhole chamber and the surface material is all the same, and everything is still accessible

Don't think that this is "only a fire escape" ramp. The criteria/specification should be the same as any other disabled ramp

cheers guys. It was more the fire safety side that was concerning me. The regs just say no obstructions but doesnt state if man hole covers class as obstruction. Ive got visions of people fleeing down the ramp only to fall down the hole because workers have opened it for access and blocked their escape!!!

Sponsored Links
Why do they even need a ramp for disabled fire escape, appreciate you may not know. I've done plenty of public buildings and never done a ramped fire escape. Is the building a hospice or similar with more wheelchair users than a normal building for example?

What ^woody^ said Re: slip resistance.

I've done some Fred. We did one at a hospital, one at a NHS clinic and I seem to remember doing one at a standard secondary school.

Its a charity shop & warehouse and they havent got a fire escape in the warehouse section. They've been told it needs to be usable for wheelchairs and theres a 340mm drop from where the exit will be going to the ground level, hence the need for a ramp. The ramp wasnt the issue, it was the MH cover. Just didnt want to have the MH cover on the ramp only for it to go against the fire regs as a potential obstruction. But looking at the replies it seems it should be ok.

From Buld Regs K1

2.4 Obstruction of Ramps Ramps should be clear of permanent obstructions.

From Buld Regs K1

The b/regs would not apply, unless this was a new build

Otherwise the OP would work to a specification from the client, or at least to BS8300 - 2009 code of practice for access to buildings for disabled people

From Buld Regs K1

thats whats concerning me. Is a MH cover classed as a permanent obstruction? Obviously when it closed then its not, but if its opened for whatever reason then the ramp becomes inaccessible. Ive also found in the regs that if the top of the ramp is less than 350mm you don't need hand rails!?

As has been mentioned, you don't need to adhere to the Building regulations as you are improving the situation and there is currently no ramp at all. That the manhole may be up requires management from the Building Owners (or whoever is running the place) to ensure that it can be put back as soon as an alarm sounds so for eg it may require two people to be present when ever it is up for inspection for. Its obviously not a permanent obstruction unless the manhole is kept open permanently is it.

Is a MH cover classed as a permanent obstruction?

Ive also found in the regs that if the top of the ramp is less than 350mm you don't need hand rails!?

Firstly, no surface access point is an obstruction by any measure

Secondly, if this is your line of work then you need to be very careful and check your insurance cover.

Just because the building regs state that handrails are only required for a certain height ramp, does not mean that none are required. You will need to check (if you don't already know) what standards are required, and irrespective of that, you will have a common law duty to ensure that your work is properly done and safe to use by anyone.

Now, if you think that any unguarded difference in height at the side of a ramp which is solely built for disabled egress is acceptable, then you would be wise to reconsider. You have liability under the tort of negligence, and the building owner has a duty under the Occupiers Liability Act 57

Chill Woody! I have no intention of leaving out the handrails or the 100mm guards. I spent enough time contemplating if a MH cover was an obstruction! I was just commenting on what I came across on the regs.

As has been mentioned, you don't need to adhere to the Building regulations as you are improving the situation and there is currently no ramp at all. That the manhole may be up requires management from the Building Owners (or whoever is running the place) to ensure that it can be put back as soon as an alarm sounds so for eg it may require two people to be present when ever it is up for inspection for. Its obviously not a permanent obstruction unless the manhole is kept open permanently is it.

thanks freddie, it makes better sense now. Just wanted to be extra sure I was on the right path. This forums are very helpful for extra advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back