advice on double gates with fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a bit of advice from any fencing experts on here,I plan to put up a metal palisade fence approx. 2.1m high including a pair of 3m gates. The fence itself is fairly lightweight and if I remember from working with this material years ago we would put the fence up by linking the posts and top and bottom rail together first and supporting in place and then concreting in,my main question is regarding the gates.Because they are metal construction and 1.5m each then the posts for these are going to be pretty meaty so would i be best erecting the posts first and letting them set solidly before continuing with the fence or just carry on. I guess as long as the gates aren't hung too soon it might be ok to carry on with the fencing as long as its supported and seeing as its quite lightweight. Any input or tips guys would be appreciated. Chris

Sponsored Links
If you put the gate posts in first, then run round doing the fencing and hang the gates last, not only will the gate posts have had the max time for their concrete to cure, but they will also have lateral support from the attached fence rails.

The fence posts are stressed much less than the gates as (once finished) they have no one-side load, just dead-weight, wind pressure, and fat people trying to climb over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back