Gate to a fence post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fence between me and next door has next doors gate screwed to it, attached to it on my side is a small fence which is secured to the house. My plan was to remove the fence a replace with a gate as per next door. However on taking down the fence, the fence post wained (being attached to the house clearly kept it secure and upright - its upright but a couple of cms off being square)

The question is, would a new post support two gates and would I be better putting the new post next to old and securing the two together (double secure ?)

cheers.

Sponsored Links
if you put a top rail, over the gate, like a doorframe, attached to the fencepost and one or both houses, it will make it all much stronger and more rigid, and will prevent the post from moving about.

Gateposts are very prone to move

You can also get a better fixing by hanging the gate on the side of the house, then it will not put a moving weight on the post. You can fix a hanging post to the house with long screws (I used galvanised studding, cut to length right through teh post and wall, with a nut on each end, as it goes through into my garage so does not spoil any decoration)

cheers, mine also goes into the garage so may used the bolts as you suggest. ideally i need the gate on the fence side to avoid hitting the window.

in relation to the fence post, what do you reckon to putting the new post next to the old and securing the two together (i am favouring this as saves me having to take down next doors gate and getting out the old post). any suggestions on securing the two together.

cheers.

you will probably find the old post is stuck in a great lump of concrete, so it will be very hard to chip it out to get a new post next to it. also both posts would be in the same lump so no extra strength.

bracing across the top is the best way I know, preferably from house to house and bolted to the post. you could put some burglar spikes on it too.

A bolt and a Squire 660 padlock will keep unskilled intruders out.

Sponsored Links
ok i see, keep the existing post but secure it to the wall with the brace. hmmm, will need to think on that. Didn't think about that lump of concrete, was planning on use a metal spike and fixing the two posts together, but maybe the brace will be easier and quicker?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back