Securing a post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The previous owner of our house put up fencing in the back garden, with a arch/trellis leading out to the driveway. I'd like to attach a gate to the arch/trellis, but only two of the four posts are secured in the ground, and it's the loose ones I want to attach the gate to. Obviously, that won't work.

So what I'm after is a way to secure the two loose posts. From searching on here, I think my best bet is concrete spurs on both sides.

http://www.kebur.co.uk/products/fencing/posts/Spurs.shtml

Am I right, or is there a better solution?

Sponsored Links
Hi camoscato
The spurs would work well and be quite cheap to buy, BUT - for each post you'll have to dig a deep hole right by your existing post and concrete the spur in. And if you're going to do that, maybe it would be just as easy to put new posts in!
Alternatively - How are the current posts fixed? You could chop them off at ground level and thenuse post repair brackets concreted into the ground. Not as strong as using spurs though.
Hope this helps.

Thanks b3taman! The two that are fixed are on 75mm post anchors/spikes that are just pounded into the ground. I'd happily loosen the bolts and pull the whole thing out in order to fix the other two, but the trellis is attached to the fence, so it becomes a big production to pull the whole thing apart.

Thanks for the advice about the spurs. It seems like whatever way I choose it's going to be a bit of a job. Maybe I'll just buy a much lighter gate. As long as it's high enough to discourage the dog from jumping it, it'll serve its purpose! :D

Thanks again for the reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back