Fence post cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a fence put in our back garden with a pretty heavy gate, which has most/all of its weight supported by a single fence post.

I just noticed the post is starting to split. Is there anything I can do to fix and/or better support this?

I'm thinking it's not going to support the gate much longer as it was only erected a few months ago.

I've attached a couple of photos. It looks like the gate latch is coming loose as well because of this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attachments

• 20220422_205943.jpg
    20220422_205943.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 20220422_210354.jpg
    20220422_210354.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
First off is, you could contact the installer and ask thm to sort it out as you shouldn't expect this to happen so soon.
Alternatively;
If you can get an extension tube, (square shaped obviously), from a garden/fencing supplier and you may be able to clamp the split closed and hammer the extension tube over the top of the post as a sort of collar.
It will be best to remove the gate to do this so the weight isn't pulling on the post. If the tube is too long you can cut it down so it only comes to just above where the hinge is.

I know I'll need to contact him. He's on holiday for a month so I'll need to wait until then and hope it doesn't get worse in the meantime.

Thanks for your suggestion about the extension tube amd pther advice. I'll check it out.

Sponsored Links
How about putting another post alongside this one, and bolting them through?
John :)
That might be a good idea actually. I was contemplating just getting rid of the gate and making all fence, as we don't need a gate there, it's just a nice to have. But would still like to have it.
Thanks for the suggestion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back