Advice on drainpipe drainage please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Is someone able to offer some advice please.

We noticed a few of the bricks in our block paving has risen slightly around the drainpipe.

So I had a closer look and noticed the house bricks have started going white around the drain pipe exit area.
We also did notice during the winter the internal walls around this area were damp,
this may not be connected and may be condensation, as we dry clothes in that room and the white bricks appear to be below the damp coarse but thought I'd mention it as it seems bit of a coincidence.

So the downpipe runs straight into the hole in to the block paving gutter, my issue is there is a void (around 100mm deep) between the bottom of the block paving gutter and the sewer hole, so in heavy rain the water will potentially run against the side of the house, especially as the sewer and gutter holes are slightly offset from each other.

I have added a couple of photos but they don't really show what I'm talking about so iv tried to do a sketch to explain a bit better where the void is.

20210606_165133.jpg
20210606_165041.jpg
20210606_175152.jpg

This may be perfectly normal but just wanted to check as I didn't know if there should be a pipe going from the gutter to the sewer.

Any advice/reassurance would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don’t know much about channel drains, but would have expected the fall:
  1. Away from the house
  2. To be finished between the wall and drain.

Don’t know much about channel drains, but would have expected the fall:
  1. Away from the house
  2. To be finished between the wall and drain.
Thank you for the reply,
thats exactly my feeling, I would of expected it to be directed directly into the sewer rather than be able to flow around the brick work.

Hopefully someone can confirm this and give me some pointers on rectifying the issue

Existing is just a bodge. To do it properly needs a channel end cap fitting and the channel connecting directly to the drain, otherwise you are going to get very wet brickwork which wont do you or the wall any favours. Looks like they've just knocked the outlet blank out and haven't bothered to make a proper joint to the outgoing drain.

If levels allow I'd look at cutting the channel drain back a bit, fitting a gulley for the channel to discharge into and rejig the downpipe to enter the gulley vie a side/back inlet. Fit a gulley surround to hold the blocks in place around the site, slope the benching around the gulley to direct all water away from the wall into the drain.

Sponsored Links
Existing is just a bodge. To do it properly needs a channel end cap fitting and the channel connecting directly to the drain, otherwise you are going to get very wet brickwork which wont do you or the wall any favours. Looks like they've just knocked the outlet blank out and haven't bothered to make a proper joint to the outgoing drain.

If levels allow I'd look at cutting the channel drain back a bit, fitting a gulley for the channel to discharge into and rejig the downpipe to enter the gulley vie a side/back inlet. Fit a gulley surround to hold the blocks in place around the site, slope the benching around the gulley to direct all water away from the wall into the drain.

Thank you very much for the advice and letting me know it's not currently correct.

I really like the idea of fitting a gully, I will look to see what is available but I'm just not sure I will have enough room to fit one.
I have around 190mm from the top of the block paving to the entrance of the sewer and around 50mm between the wall and the sewer (added the dimensions to the sketch below).

20210607_202408.jpg

Thanks again for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back