Damp patch on exterior brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my again. Seem to be posting problems / questions on here quite regularly thanks to this great community!

I noticed this damp patch on the brick work at the back of the house.

Around the corner, as you can see, we have two daisy-chained rainwater butts. They are not close up against the wall and can't see any leaks from it.
There is a gutter pipe running down exactly where the visible water butt is, and is connected to the water butt using something that looks like this.

We've not had any major rainfall recently so have been unable to get out and check what the source is during any heavy rain. The inside of the wall is fine. We painted it over summer and there is no peeling / cracking or sign of any damp internally anywhere. The house is generally in good condition.

We moved at the beginning of the year so first time seeing this. I'm thinking it could be blocked up downpipes as the gutters are fully open and exposed. We have a gutter cleaner coming towards the end of the week to hoover out all the downpipes etc. Then I'll pop some gutter guards at the top of the downpipes.

Any ideas based on the above what could cause this? I assume it's a good thing it doesn't get below the DPC?

Thanks very much in advance for reading!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi all, my again. Seem to be posting problems / questions on here quite regularly thanks to this great community!

I noticed this damp patch on the brick work at the back of the house.

View attachment 322818

Around the corner, as you can see, we have two daisy-chained rainwater butts. They are not close up against the wall and can't see any leaks from it.
There is a gutter pipe running down exactly where the visible water butt is, and is connected to the water butt using something that looks like this.

We've not had any major rainfall recently so have been unable to get out and check what the source is during any heavy rain. The inside of the wall is fine. We painted it over summer and there is no peeling / cracking or sign of any damp internally anywhere. The house is generally in good condition.

We moved at the beginning of the year so first time seeing this. I'm thinking it could be blocked up downpipes as the gutters are fully open and exposed. We have a gutter cleaner coming towards the end of the week to hoover out all the downpipes etc. Then I'll pop some gutter guards at the top of the downpipes.

Any ideas based on the above what could cause this? I assume it's a good thing it doesn't get below the DPC?

Thanks very much in advance for reading!
A DPC works in both directions.

Looks like a downpipe issue to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back