Conservatory guttering has no drain or soak-away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our conservatory guttering is connected via a downpipe to a water butt. Currently, if this overflows it simply spills out onto the concrete outside our conservatory and kitchen.

There is no drain outside this part of the house. All the downpipes on our main roof guttering go into our neighbours property (we live in a semi). I can't see any way to link our conservatory guttering into the main roof guttering - the most obvious route would cut across our kitchen door to reach the neighbours downpipe.

A soak-away would seem to be other option, if we didn't have heavy clay-based soil.

Not really sure what to do! Leaving things as they are doesn't seem a great idea as I'm sure this water is causing problems somewhere, even if I don't know it yet.

Yet another nice "surprise" I've realised we've inherited from the previous owner(s)...

Sponsored Links
If the conservatory wasn't there you'd still get the same amount of water.

But surely the same is true for main roof guttering, yet we feel the need to drain that correctly? Do I really not have to worry about this smaller volume of water?

If the conservatory wasn't there you'd still get the same amount of water.

Yes, but it would be spread over something like 10m2 and not concentrated in one spot to soften the ground at that point

Sponsored Links
Just run a underground drainage square hopper into a 90 degree angle with a few mtrs of pipe in the ground. Bit o' digging, £30 in materials, job done. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back