1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Sharing neighbours conservatory gutters

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by Pandoradancer, 27 Jun 2019.

1. Pandoradancer

Pandoradancer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, newbie here! We recently bought a terraced house, both neighbours have large conservatories either side built up to our boundaries. We have no downpipe from our gutters. Each neighbour does, It didn't worry us when we bought the house as we had no intention of getting a conservatory ourselves. Now I have come into a fairly large inheritance and we are thinking it might be nice to have one. Can we use the neighbours guttering each side to take the water away (with their permission?)

2. jonbey

jonbey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    With their permission, I don't see a problem. Normally a gutter would be entirely without your own boundary, so for your roof to fill it, it'd need to go over their boundary a bit, which is why most people would not do it. Plus, you lose access for maintenance and cleaning the gutters, windows etc. But, with permission, it's should not be a problem. How wide is the house? I'd probably want to leave a foot at least each side - handy storage space too.

3. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you go ahead with that, with their permission, do make sure you get their permission in writing.

4. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Build an extension that you can use all year round.

Andy

• Like Like x 2
  5. jonbey

jonbey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    or use the money to move to a non-terraced house?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Pandoradancer

Pandoradancer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies, we only moved in a couple of months ago and at our 'elderly' age we can't face moving again, and we love the area. The house is about 18 foot wide. Both conservatories are built right up to the boundaries both sides. I don't like the idea of leaving a 1 foot gap, could we not use their walls and make them party walls? I was thinking more like making a 'gulley' each side and our roof being pitched so the water ran down both sides. We are having tilt and turn windows in the back upstairs rooms anyway and recently had a gutter clearing with a vacuum thingy, which I am sure would cope with the conservatory gutters. Does any of that make sense? :)

7. garyo

garyo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Are they really, in that their guttering is over sailing your property?

8. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not sure how you envisage using conservatory walls as party walls , what are the walls made of :?::!:
    How wide do you need your extension to be ?
    Do you really want a conservatory or would it be better to have a 'proper' extension designed .

9. Pandoradancer

Pandoradancer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Both walls are all brick, extending out about 12ft. and we don't want to lose any light. We would like to make use of the full width as we only want to go out 9ft.. Both neighbours used the same local double glazing company so i think i will see what they can do.thanks all.

10. jonbey

jonbey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    get some quotes from builders too - for my first extension that was 2 brick walls and mostly glazed to the rear, the local double glazing people quoted about £15k more than the builder, the the builder put a proper roof on it too.

11. Pandoradancer

Pandoradancer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you jonbey I will certainly give both a try! Perhaps a roof with Velux windows would be an option.

12. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Might there be a problem with a conservatory roof below first floor egress (fire escape ) windows :?::!: Are any of these bedroom windows :?:

13. Pandoradancer

Pandoradancer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Both neighbours have huge conservatories underneath a bedroom and a bathroom window. As we would. I don't see a problem.

14. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Bathroom window ok . No problem as long as you don't have to escape from a bedroom window in the event of a fire and drop through the conservatory roof :!: ( but I have been working to building regulations for too long :D )