Shared guttering issue

15 Mar 2022
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm a newbie, need some advice, please.
We live in a semi detached house, both us and neighbours have an extension at the back. Guttering from our extensions had shared downpipe and drain. The downpipe was exactly in the boundary line, the drain(gully) was on his. He had work done to his extension's roof and put new guttering with a downpipe on the other end of his house. They put that old downpipe onto our side of the fence, where we have no drain, so it means now all rainwater comes straight into our garden flooding it, he removed the old drain on his side. Never informed us about any of this until few days ago we seen what he's done. My question is, what can we do about this now? He shut us off without our consent, the only drain we have is on the side, that means we now will have to put new guttering and connect to the this drain. Our extension was built first in the 80's his was after, he has the orange underground pipes in his garden, we don't.Can you please help? I contacted Building Control, NI Water nobody knows anything. I'm not able to find any drainage plans, but since the extension was built around 40 years ago it was always shared.
Sponsored Links
My house is the creamy on on the left, you can clearly see the boundary, fence is on our side, his oil heating pipes are on the boundary, the old shared downpipe was exactly in the middle where our wall are connected and the gully was a bit to the right to his oil pipes.


  • 20220303_121955.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 20220303_122255.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 20220303_121853.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 205
It seems like you are in NI? The following is based on English law, but may well apply there too.

If he's moved the existing downpipe draining your property from an existing drain and is now draining to no-where then that's unlawful. Drainage comes under the Building Act, and would be enforced by either building control or your council's environmental protection officers, or may be a Statutory Nuisance which would be environmental protection.

It may also be a civil matter, but the fact that these are extensions may well complicate any implied or acquired rights of drainage, and you'd need to get legal advice on that from a land law specialist.

But chase the council both building control or you may get more joy from environmental protection
Sponsored Links
I tried with council, tried with NI water and also dept. of environment. They have no clue. Waiting for a reply from dept. of infrastructure yet. I also spoke to Citizens Advice Bureau and waiting for an appointment to get legal advice. Previous owners of our house both passed away and I have no contact to her daughter to ask if she knows anything if there was an agreement just to use it together or maybe she has some papers, plans, knowledge etc, as she was living here when our extension was built. To be honest, even the man from Building Control told me that our neighbour is a total c*** for doing this without even mentioning anything. By the way, he wants to build a second floor on the existing extension, should he not give us any info or notice stating this as we have to agree for him to start the work?
It looks like this now. We have no drain and his builders drilled that downpipe to our wall without our consent.


  • 20220303_122228.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 20220303_121841.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 138

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local