advice on drilling thru stainless steel / IKEA Fixa punch

S

snadge

EDIT: I done it great - anyone read this who's weary of using IKEA Fixa tool - dont be, i done it and it was dead easy, done in under 2 minutes - see my last post

old original post: iam about to drill a 10mm pilot hole for the IKEA fixa hole punch to create a hole in sink for tap...

ive read some horror storys about this IKEA punch that it gets stuck and threads off so it will go no further nor remove and ruin your sink... well weve spent £20 on one and a 10mm bosch metal drill bit so we are commited to going this route...

can anyone offer advice about this, when im drilling the 10mm hole slowly in a dent is it necesary to have oil or wd40? will ANY oil do? (like cooking oil hehe) - two people use the pinch-and-move technique with the IKEA Fixa tool where they pinch then loosen and rotate and repeat until its pinched/dented all way around before actually going all the way through

has any one else used this tool that might have some advice?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I drilled a small hole then a slightly bigger one.

Water will keep it cool, but you need a very slow speed.

Depends on the quality, but I hit one out by placing the sink on a solid block of wood, and wacking it with a small wood chisel and a hammer.

Desperate times only.

I drilled a small hole then a slightly bigger one.

Water will keep it cool, but you need a very slow speed.

Depends on the quality, but I hit one out by placing the sink on a solid block of wood, and wacking it with a small wood chisel and a hammer.

Desperate times only.

after burning out 3 hole saws i managed to jigsaw from the pilot hole out to the groove i had managed to create little cake slices which were then bent out. Wish i had heard of this cutting device now!

thanks... both good ideas - im gunna hit it now and see how i get on - drill then punch method , ive been looking at the mount for the tap and if push come to shove and bad things happened i have about 8mm play all way around but the seal is just 3mm out from hole (on the mount) so if i had to go past that i would have to seal it myself

wish me luck :eek:

Sponsored Links
I successfully drilled a 29mm hole in a stainless sink with a bi-metal hole saw. I was surprised that it was so easy.

Tony

well i done it (yay) :)

and it was a piece of **** , 30 seconds to dril , 60 seconds to sheer through with punch .. the punch didnt even get anywhere near tight enough to round off so people that had that problem bust have been using an old used rusty one or summit - mine went through like knife thru butter and end result was brill :)

the drill for pilot hole did drift 1-2mm cos i kept stopping and checking it but i just made the hole bigger in oppossite direction and kept the sheer-punch pushed across as it took hold (bite)

anyone weary of these 35mm punch's from ikea... dont be... well worth £10 and you get a pipe cutter too - but was gutted when i opened it to find it only cuts 15mm pipes not 22mm aswell ...oh well, cant have best of both worlds

thanks for all the advice, i did put a dent in (for pilot hole drilling to prevent walking) with a pointy screwdriver end and some masking tape as i read this helped also but i dont think it was needed

thanks again :)

heres some photos (it supposed to be slightly off the pencil marking as that was too far to right...)

2wp2rld.jpg

FINISHED PRODUCT

1zwoyfs.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back