Advice on dripping ballcock valve in hot water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice. After discovering my ballcock valve was leaking I had it replaced but it continued to drip out of the white plastic valve. I have had it replaced 3 times. I am with British gas so not forking out huge bill each time. The latest one is a slower drip. None of the plumbers can give me an explanation and I am sure it isn't meant to drip. My cold water one doesn't. Any advice on what it might be causing it would be appreciated. [/b]

Sponsored Links
Physically lift the ball valve stem up a fraction and the water should completely stop. It may just require adjustment - unless whatever the tank is feeding has a drip, of course!
John :)

Thanks John, will try that. When you a drip from what the tank feeds? What do you mean? Sorry a plumbing novice! I know that it works when I use any hot water tap and for the shower. Not sure about connection to boiler etc

A typical loft tank fills with cold water and is large capacity.....this feeds the copper cylinder where hot water is generated from the boiler.
This same loft tank suppies cold water at gravity pressure to your shower, and any other appliance which isn't mains water fed.
A small (4 gallon) tank up in your loft is a header tank for the boiler, and the two aren't connected here.
The proper tank fill valve is a Type 2 with a brass stem, usually.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, that has helped a lot. I appreciate your time and help!

Hopefully it just needs adjusting. I doubt if British Gas hang around too long to check that it is set at the correct level.

Some people don't even know that they should be adjusted.

Or how to adjust them in relation to the overflow pipe.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back