Advice on eggshell paint and lime plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post, any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Recently bought a house (built in 1930s) with walls and ceilings completely covered in woodchip. After getting that off we found the walls (and ceilings) were all covered in several layers of eggshell paint. Some loose and some hard as rock.

We spoke to a couple of plasterers who didn't think skimming over the eggshell was a good idea even after removing the lose stuff and using pva.

Some large sections of the lime plaster under the eggshell are blown, and there are a lot of pretty big cracks. Even some parts of the render underneath have come away from the wall. The render is sand and cement and mostly seems sounds apart from a lot of fine cracks.

Do I try and scrape off all the eggshell (takes forever) and can you even skim over lime plaster without using lime? Do I try and chase off the plaster but leave the render (another slow job)? Or do I go for the expensive option and get everything back to brick and dot and dab or re-render?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why not dot and dab over what is existing ? Scrape off any loose stuff and dot and dab.

I might as a last resort but they're mostly fairly small rooms and I didn't want to lose anymore space even if it's just a few more inches!

Sponsored Links
I would say that a tight dot and dab (Wall being plumb and straight) you would get away with an inch or less on each wall!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back