plastering over a painted wall - eggshell!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,

just wondering what you pros do when you have to re-skim a wall that has been painted with eggshell paint??

i've had quite a few painted walls to do recently, i rang british gypsum for advice and they said that if it's gloss or matt paint it's fine - just use thistle bond-it first, but if it's eggshell then they wouldn't advise it cos eggshell just crumbles.. i used a bonding agent on the painted walls i've done, after getting the loose bits off, and they look fine now that they've been skimmed, but when i tap them it sounds like some small areas have blown (usually no bigger than 2in x 2in). i'm guessing that the paint has come away from the wall in those spots... is that normal? is it ok?

but what do you folks do? surely you don't scrape all the paint off first!??

cheers,
mike

Sponsored Links
Meveret said:
but what do you folks do? surely you don't scrape all the paint off first!??

No, you get the house owner to do that before you arrive :D

I know very little about plastering, but when the plasterer redid a wall that had a waterproof paint on he used EML (expanding metal lattice?). That was for an undercoat and skim, but as you're just reskimming it's probably of no help!

Check for obvious loose paint then coat it with PVA and skim.

Been doing that for 20 years - never a problem.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply joe-90, got a few more Qs..

1. do you do that even with eggshell?
2. do you sand/rough up the paint first?
3. what dilution of PVA do you use and how many coats?

cheers!
mike

It isn't that critical. Plaster will even stick to a plastic bucket - so eggshell will be no problem. If it were me I'd dilute 1 part PVA and 3 parts water. Roller it on and skim when tacky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back