Advice on fence preparation and weatherproofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've moved in to a house that needs the fence weatherproofing/painting. It's clearly not been done in a while but is still more than good enough to clean and repaint/weatherproof. I'd like some advice on a few points please:

1) See the attached photo of the fence (with a bit of the gate in it to). I have about ~35m of this 6ft high fence so quite a lot. Some of it is under trees so has more algae/mold on it. Will a pressure wash and some scrubbing be fine or do I also need to sand it?

2) Using the same photo you can see that some of the fence panels actually go all the way to the ground. It's resulting in moisture seeping in to the wood from the ground. Some of the panels further down the garden, not in the photo, are actually worse so the photo doesn't really show it too well. Do I need to worry about this and if so what is the easiest fix? My father in law original suggested sawing off the bottom but I have no idea how I would do that and what saw I would use.

3) I've attached a second photo of me leaning over the fence to show a photo of the other side. You'll see that the neighbours have their own fence on that side that goes up about 5ft. So what can I do to clean and weatherproof that side given that my neighbours fence will restrict access to it?

4) Given that there is ~35m of fence plus gates to weatherproof I was hoping to get an electric paint sprayer for it. This one is on offer at Screwfix right now and seems good enough. Thoughts on doing that given the above curcumstances?

5) I'm planning on using Cuprinol Ducksback because my wife likes the Silver Copse colour. It seems like good enough stuff but wondering if any of the above questions/issues would result in recommending something else?

Sorry for all of the questions but I'm a complete beginner with this.

PXL_20230421_124103815.jpg

PXL_20230421_124150358.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just in case timber has been Tantalized.

Ronseal reply to me.

" We would recommend allowing the timber to go through a weathering period of around three months. This will then allow the surface to become porous and allow the Fence Life to soak in better".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back