Advice on Filling Holes in Dot & Dab Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

The fireplace was recently removed from my living room and the anchors that once held the surround to the brickwork behind the plasterboard have been removed, and left a bit of a hole.

10887733_10152517331465936_1819471828_n.jpg

What would be the best way to approach filling these in? Shove a few layers of Polyfilla in there?

Sponsored Links
Most decorators I know would scrunch up a couple of pages of the "Sun " newspaper, (minus the Pin Up Pictures) after ther have finished their tea break, wedge that in the hole and apply filler, and level off. :D

You could cut out hole square,get piece of 2"X1" batten 2" longer than the hole on each side,slide into the hole with same length under p/board on each side,gyproc screw through p/board into batten,cut piece of p/board to size,then screw to batten,tape,fill & paint,job done!

Sponsored Links
Most decorators I know would scrunch up a couple of pages of the "Sun " newspaper, (minus the Pin Up Pictures) after ther have finished their tea break, wedge that in the hole and apply filler, and level off. :D

The OP needs to be aware that the "Sun" no longer has the same specification:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30891939

Cheers
Richard

As from today the Sun has brought back its topless page three pictures,
It had a " Mammery " Lapse. :LOL:

The building profession can get back to normal with its Tea Break entertainment.

Ha! Yeah I read that... I'll have to stuff some Daily Star in there instead! You reckon shove some newspaper in there and then fill over should sort it though? I suppose I'll need to have a decent thickness of filler in there to avoid it being dented back in by accident? 10mm should do it you reckon?

Depending on the size of the hole (in the picture it dosent look too big,)

shove paper in covering complete hole as a backing and do several fills with filler making sure each time it has gone off thoroughly, then sand down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back