Advice on fitting a door lining to brick walls..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Total newbie here going to have a go at fitting a couple of door linings.. The doorway has been cut through and the lintel cemented in and all is good..

Now for the lining..

I know how to brace up the lining on the floor and get it all square so that is fine..

The questions are around fitting and securing it to the walls and keeping it all square.. There is about 8-12mm gap each side between the door lining and the wall.. The builder that cut the doorway said that once the lining is secured to just fill the gap with expanding foam and then the plasterer can just skim over it..

So how do I brace it up so that when I tighten the fixings it doesn't pull out of square?

Do I try and shove bits of wood between the lining and the bricks to hold it away from the wall so I can tighten the fixings or do I get it in position, fill the gaps with the expanding foam and when its hard tighten the fixings?

Any recommendations for what size fixings and what foam to use (if any)?

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
You place shims behind each fixing and check with a long straight edge...pinenot :)

You place shims behind each fixing and check with a long straight edge...pinenot :)

That's what I needed!! As soon as you know the name of the thing you use it's easy to find information on it.. So I'll grab some shims and should be good to go..

How many fixings are typically needed each side of a door lining and are they put down the middle so they are covered by the central strips?

Thanks

4 each side should be enough, but it depends on the weight...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back