Irregular opening pulling frame out of alignment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a sliding uPVC double door. There are gaps between the frame and the door allowing a draft. It appears to me that the opening is not square in that the top side of the opening is bowed upwards. Therefore when the frame was screwed to this it was pulled out of line, following the bow and creating a gap between door and frame.

My plan is to unscrew the frame anchors at the top until the frame is in alignment, then fill the gap between frame and wall with expanding foam. Is this a sensible way to rectify this issue?

Sponsored Links
Just be careful how much foam you pump in there - the foam expanding can also bow the frame which is why getting the screws in first then foaming can be a good idea. There are low expansion foams available as well - often sold for dot and dab plasterwork, etc. These can be easier to use

Last edited by a moderator:
Loosen and then pack out gap before fixing again then just foam for gaps.

Loosen and then pack out gap before fixing again then just foam for gaps.
I unscrewed the frame fixings but the frame has stayed where it was. Would you expect it to take a while to move if it has been held in a curve for several years? Should I lever it away from the opening?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it isn't still being held by some sealant or foam? You should be able to lever it gently with a thin pry bar. It has probably bent into rhe shape of the opening to an extent.

Are you sure it isn't still being held by some sealant or foam? You should be able to lever it gently with a thin pry bar. It has probably bent into rhe shape of the opening to an extent.
I didn't think sealant would hold it and it would want to be straight so works spring back when released but that hasn't been the case. I will try levering it gently

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back