hardwood patio doors, top sits out too much, how do i adjust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Was at my mothers and found a huge draft through her patio doors. They are the usual type from 20 years ago, one fixed panel and one door that slides across the fixed panel.

From outside when they are closed there is a brush draft strip between the two frames which is compressed at the bottom but there is a tapering gap increasing all the way to the top. I can get my pinky in the gap at the top.

I am talking about where the frames meet in the middle of the doors not where the frames meet the walls!

The door runs well and its not the up down of each wheel I need to adjust as its sitting perpendicular with the frame. Its as if I have grabbed the top of the sliding door and pulled it towards outside by about 5mm.

Is there a way to adjust this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it an Aluminium patio?? If so you want to lift the roller up located on the back of the slider at the bottom. You'll need a long pozi screw driver!!
If its pvc you can probably do the same although I'd opt to pack the glass to suit the frame. You may have to move the keeps on the frame to suit the new postion of the door, good luck

Its a hardwood set as per the title. I have edited my OP and tried to make it clearer. It is not the usual wheel adjustment to make the doors slide nicer and to make sure the door sits flat against the frame when it is closed. The problem area is where the two middle frame edges sit against each other. The outer door is tilted out towards the garden at the top so the brush seal between the doors is not compressed.

Doh, would help if I read the title first eh!!??
Can't really advise on timber, not my forte! Pinenot's your man

Sponsored Links
Doh, would help if I read the title first eh!!??
Can't really advise on timber, not my forte! Pinenot's your man

Thanks for the vote of confidence man :D

OK, how is your door hung, form wheels on metal cradle brackets or is it balanced on rollers set into the bottom of the door...pinenot :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back