Advice on fixing a buzzing light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago I re-wired most of the house an bought a load of matching new light switches and sockets, some in brushed steel and some in iridium black.

In the last few weeks one side of the double switch in the living room has started buzzing, when switching the light on. There's also a bit of flashing light.

It's not a dimmer, just a normal on/off switch, so I was wondering if I could take the switch apart and replace some of the components fix it.

I don't want to waste my time if it's a no go, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Sponsored Links
If the "lights" are coming from inside the switch then the damage to the switch is beyond sensible repair. Even if you did "repair" it its new life time would be very short.

But first check the connections the switch. loose terminals can make a buzzing noise. If loose then cut the wire back to clean bright copper and re-make the connections.

Of course the metal front plates are earthed aren't they. A failing switch in metal front plate can become a serious hazard of electrical shock.

Oh yes, the front is earthed! I was very careful about that with these metal switches......

I'll fiddle with it again tomorrow, but it sounds like I'll be going down to Wickes for a new switch. :(

Sponsored Links
Ha, it's the only shop in the vicinity which sells electrical items.....what would you recommend?

Travel further and expand your horizons, or shop on-line from a reputable supplier selling good quality products.

Sorted it!!!!

Being the tenacious git I am I just had to take the switch apart.....and inside I found....sand!! I think it's from the drilling and other works that have been done.

The sand was causing the arcing and buzzing and there were some carbon deposits inside the switch. So I cleaned the carbon off with some sandpaper an lo and behold the buzzing is no more!!

I wonder if it'll stay that way, any thoughts?

You have probably scraped away any (plated) copper contact material. The switch will be ok for a while but will fail again. You'll need a new one - sooner or later.

Thought [1]

Buy a new switch ready for the day the switch fails again, this time it might fail with its contacts welded together, then the lamp cannot be turned off.

Thought [2]

Buy a better quality switch which doesn't allow sand to get to the works.

Thought [3]

Sand doesn't burn to make carbon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back