Dimmer BUzzing - replaced single switch with double dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI there - I have recently replaced a single switch with a 2 way double dimmer (sounds silly but they only had double dimmer switches left to match and the whole house is decorated with these kind of switches) I obviously expect only one of the dimmers to work but the problem is that the switch buzzes very loudly. The light running off it is a standard single bulb (nothing fancy) and I have it connected as follows...

Black to L1
Red to squiggly line with arrow through!
Earth to back of box

Any ideas as to whether I have connected wrongly? The other box on the back of the dimmer is totally unused.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What was the dimmer make? seems silly to have to have a double, when a single would do.
I'm sure there will be an online supplier still stocking the make and type you need.

Some dimmers do make excessive noise- the less you dim the lower the noise should be.

Since you have another side, and your wiring seems correct, why not try the other dimmer and see if it's quieter. Also make sure that the wire contacts are firmly in and that the screws are tight (just in case there's something not quite in proper contact causing the buzzing).

Whats the rating of the light bulb, and whats the range of the dimmer (will say on the back ie 40-250w)

If the lamp is 60 or less I'd try a 100w if the fitting permits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back