Replacing double dimmer switch with single on/off switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I currently have a double dimmer switch operating 2 lights each on opposte walls.

I have dispensed with the lights on one wall and now wish to replace the dimmer switch with a standard single on/off switch for the remaining 2 lights on the other wall.

Would I be correct to just wire up the new switch using the L1 and common wires currently connected to the existing dimmer controlling these lights?

Secondly, I tried using new energy saving bulbs using the dimmer but it only produced a steady light on maximum brightness. Increasing or decreasing the brightness was very erratic, symptomatic of a dirty wiper on the dimmer.

Are these new enrgy saving bulbs not compatible with dimmers?

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Yes, to the first question and No to the second. You cannot use low energy lamps on a dimmer switch.

Kind regards,

NA

Would I be correct to just wire up the new switch using the L1 and common wires currently connected to the existing dimmer controlling these lights?
Yes. If it's a "two-way" switch you're fitting and it works 'upside down' as compared with what you'd like, connect the wire to L2 rather than L1.
Secondly, I tried using new energy saving bulbs using the dimmer but it only produced a steady light on maximum brightness. Increasing or decreasing the brightness was very erratic, symptomatic of a dirty wiper on the dimmer. Are these new energy-saving bulbs not compatible with dimmers?
Many, probably most, energy-saving lights are not dimmable. Even those which are dimmable are fussy about the dimmer being compatible with them.

Kind Regards, John

Yes you CAN use low energy lamps on a dimmer, but the lamps need to be dimmerable and the dimmer needs to be compatible with the lamp.

One other point. in your post you said

I have dispensed with the lights on one wall

How did you do that? you must not leave the wires in the wall and just filled over if they are still live, or could become live. Best is to disconnect the cable at some suitable point. Where that point is will depend on how the light(s) have been wired. Post a photo of the wiring at the switch. It may be easy!

Sponsored Links
Hi, sorry, that would also suggest that Johnww2 is also wrong as we both gave similar answers, would you wish to suggest that we all ignore him ?

Kind regards,

NA

You did not give similar answers

You said
You cannot use low energy lamps on a dimmer switch.
Which is not correct. You can use low energy lamps, but as I said above, it depends on the lamp.

And JohnW2's post said
Many, probably most, energy-saving lights are not dimmable.

Which is different to your statement.

Are you so dim you cannot recognise the difference between your blanket CANNOT statement and the actual situation which is a qualiified yes????.

The OP was asking if these - the ones he fitted,will not work on his dimmer - clearly NOT.

I was ansewring his question.

NA

Maybe. Or the dimmer may be incompatible with the lamp.

So your correct response should have been

"It would appear that you cannot use THOSE low energy lamps WITH THAT dimmer switch"

I'm bored now. This bottle of Merlot is much more interesting.

Thank you all very much for your prompt responses to my questions. Most helpful and appreciated.

For completeness, to try and gain a better understanding of this hitherto unknown problem I trawled the internet for some more info on the question of compatability of dimmer switches and energy saving bulbs.

As you may be aware it appears to be a question of BALLAST in early production of these bulbs and is a problem currently being addressed in new later versions with apparently increasing success.
In addition there are,I am led to believe, "stage" dimmers with switched low, med & high positions currently on sale. I have also seen compatable dimmers adverised but what they are I do not know nor care about for the immediate future at least.

Suffice to say I am at least aware of the problem now.

Many thanks again gents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back