Replacing double dimmer with single switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am trying to replace a double dimmer light switch with a single switch (no dimmer). I thought it was going to be a simple job but turns out it is more complicated than I had expected so some help would be really appreciated.

The double dimmer currently controls the ceiling lights and, I think, a wall socket for an old, round, three pin plug.

The dimmer has recently broken and we don't use the wall socket so we'd like to replace the double dimmer with a single switch. I asked in a DIY merchant who sold me a new switch as shown in the photo. They told me to wire the neutral into the top and the live into L1.

I have too many wires, however, to do this. The cable which controls the ceiling lights is the one on the right in the photo. It has four wires which I think are the live (red), neutral (blue), switched live (yellow) and earth (bare wire, now covered in yellow/green). Is this identification correct?

If so then I know which are the live and neutral that I was told to wire in but where do the switched live and earth go in the new switch?

For the cable I am leaving behind, can I just separate the wires with electrical tape and leave it in the wall or do I need to do something else to make it safe?

Thanks

Liz

Sponsored Links
You need to connect the red to the single terminal end and the yellow(sleeved red) to one of the terminals at the other end.
Which one of these other end terminals depends if the switch operates 'upside down' or not.

Also remove the link wire and terminate the other red in one connector block and the CPCs(earths) in another connector block and position safely.

Do not alter the blues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back