Advice on floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just wondering if you guys could recommend a way to fix secure the 45x120 joist to the brick. The problem I am having is getting it level due to the uneven old mortar / brick. I was wondering if I could lay a thin layer of mortar, dpm and then another thick layer
IMG-20230202-WA0000.jpg
or mortar and the joist in top to get it level and the secure it with a bracket.
My only concern is the mortar will eventually determinate with time....but any advise would be welcome.
The old damp proof membrane is under the new one you can see in the picture.

Thanks all for your help

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to lay a thicker bed, followed by a strip of DPC followed by a tanalised plank on top, tap it down to get level, then rest your joists on it.

If you put some noggins in between the joists (2 or 3 per joist) it will help make the floor stronger.

Wrap the ends of the joists in DPC, staple on, so it's not in direct contact with the brick.

Are you insulating the floor whilst you are at it?

Thanks for the suggestion, that could work. Will give it a try. Yes, I am insulating the floor joists wih PIR 100mm.
Any tips to straighten the new joists? They don't look very straight to me.....

Are you replacing just the one joist - the one in the pic? Or are you replacing more or all the joists?
Your joist tail is sitting in a brick pocket - why was the previous joist removed? Was it due to damp/wet rot?
Any joist tail sitting in a pocket should be wrapped in a cap of DPC material.

Whoever opened up the brick pocket made it far too large but its no big deal to fix & secure the joist at the right height and free from movement in the pocket.

The new DPC over the old DPC is a waste of time.

Why not take new pics showing more of the wall pockets and a pic with the new DPC removed ie. showing the old DPC?
If you post the pics and answer my questions I'll show you what to do?

Sponsored Links
I am replacing 2 joists. The joist you can see in the picture is inside the air ventilation, it is not fixed. It was just put inside while I was doing something else. The joist should sit below the mark. I just attached a picture of the old joist.
Old joists were not secure to the wall just laying on the old brick+dpc, however new ones I guess I should be somehow fixing.

The other end of the joist was dry rot, hence I decided to replace the whole joist.

Btw some of the old dpc was broken while removing the timber, that's why I added the one in the photo.

Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• 20220706_122300.jpg
    20220706_122300.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 32
Your joist tails appear to be sitting on a ledge - is it a brick ledge covered with some sort of DPC material?
Why do you say the fungal damage to the joist was "Dry Rot"?
Whatever kind of rot it was, have you found and rectified the cause of the damage?
Herring Bone noggins (google them) would work to stabilise your floor - the span determines how many pairs to install in each joist bay.
But first you must level all the joists - to pack up you can use small squares of hardboard or thin steel or plastic "plates".
A Builder's Supplies should have suitable packing material - dont use slate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back