Advice on grid switch removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new here and first post so please be gentle!!!
We have just bought a new house which needs a lot doing, we are about to get the boiler replaced then have a new kitchen fitted.
I'm going to try and do most of the kitchen myself as funds are so tight.
At the moment there is a grid switch which I don't want anymore. How would I go about removing this? There will be no need for an immersion switch anymore (which is on there) as we are having a combi boiler fitted. That just leaves the switches for the kitchen appliances. Each of said appliances have their own switched sockets so I really don't want the grid switch.....
Can I remove this myself with basic electrical knowledge or am I out of my depth?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the appliances have switches in that grid then their sockets will be supplied via them, so you can't just remove them. You also can't just remove the grid switch because that would leave cables concealed in walls where they must not be.

[wiki]electrics%3Awalls[/wiki]

You'll need to find where the cables run from/to the grid switch, CU, sockets, immersion etc, and remove all the cables you won't need and which may not remain where they are, and rewire as required. So there will be plastering and/or tiling to be made good, and that, coupled with a new kitchen, means that now would be an ideal time to decide what sockets/switches/lighting you would have where, in an ideal world, and do that.

Ok, firstly thanks for your reply....
That's going to be way too hard for me to do.
I guess I better get an electrician in.....
I don't suppose you would have a rough idea about how long it would take a sparky to remove the grid switch and what kind of cost I would be looking at? (I live in the midlands so no London prices!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back