Advice on how new range cooker was wired up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of a kitchen renovation, and needed some plugs move to accomodate the new layout. The previous, single oven was on the north wall with the cooker switch next to it. We got a double oven range cooker and moved it to the east wall and advertised on MyBuilder for an electrcian to move the cooker switch and a couple of other double gang sockets. The old cooker switch had its own didicated circuit, and from looking at the circuit breaker, a thicker cable than the rest.

The spark we got had good reviews. However, yesterday I found a sticker under the new over that was attached to three wires that were coming out of the back. It said "Warning not to be used for wiring connection". Looking at it, he has connected these wires to a junction box, and then to the mains supply. That was the first red flag.

Secondly, the new cooker is no longer on the dedicated cooker circuit, but on the same circuit as the kitchen plugs and dishwasher. It also is now connected to a spur with a 13amp fuse in it. I do not know much about electrics so trusted his word at the time, but since finding the sticker and talking to another tradesperson who had some knowledge of the range, am starting to think a corner was cut.

I have attached a photo of the panel under the storage drawer. From using an online calculator, for 5.2kw, a 4mm cable is required, and able to handle 22.6-27amps, much higher than the 13amp fuse in the spur.

How should I bring this up with the spark who carried out the work? I don't want to be antagonistic or start anything argumentitive, but I do want him to redo the work I requested and have paid for completed correctly and, most importantly, safely. To any professional electricians; how would you best appreciate an issue like this being raised with you?

Its a huge inconvenience, as the wall and ceiling has been also been freshly plastered since he moved the plugs, and installation of the new kitchen units has begun. And to get the cooker back on the cooker circuit, he'll need to re-open the ceiling to get the cabling, and then channel out the wall to where the current spur is.

Thanks.

Attachments

• panel.JPG
    panel.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The things you had moved are sockets not plugs.

No way should a 5.2kW cooker be on a 13a FCU.

Best of luck getting anywhere with the sparks if you paid him. Is he a member of any professional organisation you could report him to?

Lesson learned do not trust MyBuilder and similar organisations. Tradesmen pay to be on them and probably write their own reviews.

Sponsored Links
@winston1 I thought as much, but thought if I approached it right, I might get somewhere. May have to consult a solicitor.

@bernardgreen Yes, the gas supply was connected by a GasSafe registered person I've used a number of times.

@EFLImpudence I've attached the full plate.

Attachments

• fullplate.JPG
    fullplate.JPG
    314.9 KB · Views: 285
The instructions do not give enough details really.

Some say the grill is 2.7kW.
If that cannot be used with the other elements at the same time, then it could be alright, but who knows?

Are there more details in the instruction book than in Bernard's picture?

Just as a bit of an update; called the spark and he agreed that he probably shouldn't have done it that way, and agreed to come back and reconnect the cooker to the cooker circuit and connected the range up directly. Came back a couple of days later and did it free of charge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back