Advice on how to remove this electric fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening all

Now as i am clueless I will apologise now for the vagueness and if this is a simple question.
I have an electric fireplace i am looking to remove and was hoping that one the insert was slid out,it would be a plug. It is not. Pictures are attached of the fire place, the rear of the insert and the wall switch.

My question is,can i remove this? If so, how obviously safely or do i need an electrician?

//www.diynot.com/network/Ducati696/albums/

Hope this is enough info

Cheers

Duke[/img]

Sponsored Links
Is there a socket nearby.

I'm thinking that is an extension lead on the floor.
Where is that plugged in?

I would hope the fire is just a spur from a nearby socket and could be removed.
If not, you could just remove the fire cable from the switch and remove that.

Is there a socket nearby.

I'm thinking that is an extension lead on the floor.
Where is that plugged in?

I would hope the fire is just a spur from a nearby socket and could be removed.
If not, you could just remove the fire cable from the switch and remove that.

Thanks for the tips. Yes there is a socket about a foot and a half from the wall switch. I unscrewed the switch but due to lack of knowledge can only see what i thinj is the thick grey wire that runs to the circular box at the rear of the insert. Could i remove the box secure the wire some how and leave the switch? Put the secured wire behind the plaster?

Yes there is a socket about a foot and a half from the wall switch. I unscrewed the switch but due to lack of knowledge can only see what i thinj is the thick grey wire that runs to the circular box at the rear of the insert. Could i remove the box secure the wire some how and leave the switch? Put the secured wire behind the plaster?
Not exactly sure what you mean.

Switch of the power and test for dead.
You should have a two pole tester to be absolutely certain.

Unscrew the switch, there must be two cables connected to it -
the supply and the cable to the fire.

Determine which is the fire cable and disconnect from the switch.
If it won't pull out into the fireplace, then connect all three of the conductors, brown, blue and green/yellow together in ONE separate connector block and position safely.
Replace the switch.

If you want to keep the cable in the fireplace, you can.
If not, you can cut it off.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back