Electric fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right forum but posting here as I want to check safety.
We're considering replacing our gas inset fire/fire surround with an electric equivalent.
Our fireplace used to have a back boiler and gas fire attached. When the back boiler was removed they left the corregated silver flue in place and it attaches to a cowl on the top of the chimney. Not sure if they plaster boarded around the bottom of the flue.
Would it be safe to install an inset electric fire? The fire is going into a marble surround and backplate but I'm assuming a bit of the back of the fire will protrude into the original brick fireplace slightly.
Just concerned about any damp air or am I overthinking it.
Bungalow is 1960's build.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You will need an air vent somewhere, maybe under the fire to let the old flue breathe and avoid damp. But you so realise electricity is four times the cost of gas don’t you?

Bungalow is 1960's build.
Unless the electrics have been upgraded, then you will likely be looking at doing a lot of work.

1966 the rules changed about earthing, and before that date also a lot of rubber cable used, by 2008 we had entered the RCD protection of all circuits, and use of plastic pipes.

Theory it should be OK, the whole idea of the post war ring final was to heat the home with electric, but in practice any fixed item using over 2 kW should be on a dedicated circuit. So your looking at a lot of expense.

I know my old house has a gas fire hardly used, the original idea was the single gas fire heated the whole open plan house, it was 4.5 kW so a good output, but it was not thermostat controlled, and so central heating was fitted, and the gas fire kept as a stand-by should we get a power cut, as it worked without any electrical connection.

This house has a grate which we could burn wood in, again never used, it is just in case we get a power cut. If boiler fails would use a oil filled radiator, the gas fire would have been used with a boiler fault, but not the wood burner.

But you so realise electricity is four times the cost of gas don’t you?
To me that is not the issue, it is the ability to keep home warm when electrical supply fails. In some 50 years of living in a home with gas, I have never had a gas cut. An electric cut yes, I remember The Winter of Discontent and shivering when my gas central heating would not run without electric power, and got a gas fire fitted, and decided I would never again get a house without alternative heating not relying on electric.

Sponsored Links
All recent electrics, not worried about that. Most fires I've seen are 2kw and sockets can take up to 3kw. Rarely use the existing gas fire because the central heating is enough, so will probably rarely use this electric one either, just the fire effect. Lots and lots of reasons we want to get rid of gas and change to electric.
Just want to know if we can close off the steel flue with some boarding to stop any draught as we can't have a draught with the electric fire.

Just want to know if we can close off the steel flue with some boarding to stop any draught as we can't have a draught with the electric fire.
Really you should ask that question on the builder’s forum. Getting a straight answer on electrical matters here is hard enough…
Try here.

Rarely use the existing gas fire because the central heating is enough, so will probably rarely use this electric one either, just the fire effect.
If you just want the 'fire effect' you could probably get that with little or no actual electric heating.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back