Gas to electric fire query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all we are planning to have our old gas fire taken out and replaced with an electric fire. Don't really understand how the connections will work! The nearest socket is in the right hand corner of the lounge at the moment we have carpet down but are planning to have a hard flooring like Amtico or kardean. Would it be best to run a wire to the socket? If so would it be hidden? The fireplace surround will also have lights. Would a better option be to have a fuse spur by the fireplace? Do you need both? Sorry have no knowledge of electrics want to have some idea of what I'm talking about when I enquire at the fireplace shop! Have attached a photo of the current fire and area. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
FCU next to the fireplace would be the usual solution.
Either like this white plastic one, or some other colour or metal finish.
28571.jpg

Connected to a suitable source of power, which could well be the socket in the corner, depending on how that is wired.

If you want the cable concealing, it will need to be chased into the wall, horizontally between the existing socket and new FCU.

you do realise an electric fire cost 2-3 times the amount for the same amount off heat
gas around 3.5-5p a kw electric 12-18p a kw

Flame port. Thanks for your reply I've contacted a local fireplace supplier they supply and fit but have said they can only connect to the socket in the corner they cannot fit a FCU as they don't have the qualification required to do it. In your opinion is a FCU essential?

Sponsored Links
Big-All. Thanks for your reply. We decided to go electric as we will only use it as a boost every now and then. It's more for feature and effect.

I've contacted a local fireplace supplier they supply and fit but have said they can only connect to the socket in the corner they cannot fit a FCU as they don't have the qualification required to do it. In your opinion is a FCU essential?
So only really plug the things in, does that really describe a service that says they fit electrical fires.

It is possible to do this yourself if you feel confident enough but there are a number of requirements and regulations that you need to follow for this to acknowledged as compliant.
such requirements would include:
*Suitable section of cable
*Suitable conection of a spur
*Safe routing of cable
*Possible requirements for RCD protection
*The performing of the required testing and documentation

An FCU is not essential - the other option is the fire being supplied with a long flex with a plug on the end, just plugged into the corner socket with the flex tacked along the top of the skirting board.
The fuse is either in the plug, or in the FCU.

All depends whether you want a decent looking installation, or a cheap and nasty bodge.

Flame port- Right so if I go with the FCU then there will be no connections needed to the corner socket and no visible wires have I got that right? It will all be connected to the FCU? That does sound like the best option. How much roughly should I expect to pay for a local sparky to fit me a FCU? Thanks for persevering with me!

Flame port- Right so if I go with the FCU then there will be no connections needed to the corner socket
The FCU will need to be connected to the socket circuit somehow.

and no visible wires have I got that right?
Yes, but that might not be straightforward.

How much roughly should I expect to pay for a local sparky to fit me a FCU?
About the price of night out for two.

There are too many variables for anybody except someone who goes to look at the job to be able to price it, even approximately, such as:

Whether the cables run under the floors, or drop down the walls

What the floor is made of and how easy it is to lift.

What the walls are made of and how easy they are to chase.

What decorative finish is on the walls and how easy it will be to make good afterwards.

Whether the circuit RCD protected.

There is no need or point in using a FCU. Just get a socket installed in the right place. The fire comes with a plug. Use it.

There is no need or point in using a FCU. Just get a socket installed in the right place. The fire comes with a plug. Use it.
That would depend where the right place was and the model of fire, where hole in wall or wall mounted. There are number of configuration that can be used.
There is indeed no requirement to use a FCU over a socket outlet but sometimes it is more aesthetically pleasing and can avoid hazardous and unsightly flexes and also it is possible that you may not be able to spur a socket outlet from the circuit without the use of a FCU.

What kind of company names a product the Slimline Dimension Whooping Cough?

:mrgreen:

Anyway:

valor-petrus-fires-0585041.jpg

What would you rather see there - an FCU (or isolation switch) discreetly mounted on the wall somewhere, or a flex poking out, trailing off to a socket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back