Advice on installing panel slats against a wall that has a gradient (rear extension wall with a pitched ceiling)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice on installing panel slats against a wall that has a gradient (rear extension wall with a pitched ceiling)

Hello all, I'm after some advice on how to measure and cut the slat panels for a wall that has a gradient ceiling that is pitched.

So the height of one end of the wall is around 2.4m, and the other end is under 3m. The slats come in widths of 60cm, and the width of the wall is just under 3m.

Please see the attached images for a clear definition of what I mean.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 17.08.19.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 17.08.19.png
    430.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 17.08.09.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 17.08.09.png
    202.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 17.07.58.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 17.07.58.png
    201.5 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
I was also thinking of using a protector to work out the angle. which would remain consistent across the 60cm widths of the panels.

Use a sliding bevel, use the bevel to mark the wood then decide on which method you want to use to cut the wood, personally I'd use a mitre saw with adjustable base so you can just set the base to the right angle for all the cuts.

Sponsored Links
I understand that in order to draw the angle on the slat widths and to cut, I would need to draw a horizontal line on the wall, starting at the spot with the lowest gradient. From there, I could figure out the vertical length and use a straight-edge saw on the actual slats themselves.

*The slats will come in 3m heights as that's the highest point in the gradient.

Last edited:
Check the ceiling line is straight, as you probably do not want an uneven top edge that follows an uneven ceiling. A little deviation may look OK.

define a perimeter gap
draw straight line top and bottom, and plumb lines at each end
starting at the high end, mark out the panel widths allowing for the joint overlaps
measure the ceiling angle
start at the higher end
measure the vertical distance between the top and bottom lines
orient a panel to allow for fitting the last one - ie get the joint on a suitable side
transfer the measurement to the correct side of the panel
mark the angle
cut

I was also thinking of using a protector to work out the angle. which would remain consistent across the 60cm widths of the panels.
You don’t need to know the angle only the measurements at each end of panel to ceiling at 600mm spacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back