Advice on leaky door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening all,

Please could you provide a little assistance with the below problem:

My rear PVC door lets in water (when it rains :D or when I fire the hosepipe at it :confused: )

We have had this problem for ages, yet as we are getting the floor tiled next week thought I better fix it pronto. I believe now after looking at it properly, the seals may have gone < if you agree could you point me in the direction of a step-by-step guide on replacing.

If you believe otherwise, could you let me know the problem

Thanks in advance
Tom

Image1: From this you can see the water seems to pool in the bottom right on the inside of the door > Normally a lot worse than this, but has only snowed not rained.
View media item 55549
Image2: Just with the door open looking at the bottom of the frame, the worrying thing here is that it has drainage holes, so any water leaking in I would of thought would of drained away..
View media item 55550
image3: Reverse shot
View media item 55551
Image 4 and 5: I believe this might be the culprit?
(Bottom left and right respectively)
View media item 55552&
View media item 55553
Image 6:Top right (from outside)
View media item 55555
image 7: Top left (from outside)
View media item 55556
Image 8:
Underneath the door - Just in case something wasn't fitted properly
View media item 55559

Sponsored Links
Start with removing that flat pvc trim at the bottom of the door, you need the ribs ( see the side and the top of frame) to help retain the water from flowing back into the house. Once that is done pour some water around the drainage holes and see if its coming out the front at the bottom as i dont see any face drainage and usually under drainage would be use if it was sat on apvc cill!
Let us know how you get on ?

Was just going to say the same, where are the face drain holes? Remove that silly trim, what its covering i'll never know :rolleyes: , then tip a cup of water in the threshold, try not to soak the internal concrete because it'll be easier to see if the waters coming in under the door.

The trouble is if it is the drainage holes then drilling face drain holes won't really do a great deal without sealing up the existing holes under the frame.

Sponsored Links
i would take the d mould off on the outside, seal the frame to the brick and then replace d mould. also check the cill isnt fitted unlevel :oops: or drained water could back up. if the cill is fitted on a flat surface ie. not overhanging bwork then this could be the case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back