Water Problem - New UPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just had a new UPVC back door installed and have noticed that when it rains, water is coming in at the bottom of the door.

I inspected the bottom of the door both inside and outside and noticed there is about 2-3mm gap at both sides.

The door is sitting on concrete and I was wondering how to rectify this problem.

Would I be able to just apply silicone to the bottom? Do I need to do inside as well as outside with the silicon?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sponsored Links
How's about asking the installer to come back and sort the issue??
I take it there's no pvc sill? Hopefully you can see the drainage holes on the frame at the bottom? If not, a base drain door has been fitted, this could also be the cause.
Is the door open in? If so has a drip been fitted?

How's about asking the installer to come back and sort the issue??
I take it there's no pvc sill? Hopefully you can see the drainage holes on the frame at the bottom? If not, a base drain door has been fitted, this could also be the cause.
Is the door open in? If so has a drip been fitted?

I am not sure if there is a sill but there are drainage holes on the frame.

The door does open in but I am not sure if a drip has been fitted as I don't know much about doors at the moment.

I have included a picture of what the base of the door looks like from the outside.

14b4no.jpg

Hope this helps.

You have the correct drainage, the door drip is also fitted, just need to seal the gap at the bottom with some clear silicone, try and lift the threshold up slightly with a chisel/bar so you can pump some silicone under the door as well. I'd then put a bit of pvc quadrant over the sealant and seal again.
Sealing it just the once will shrink and will let water back in after time.
Lastly put some drainage caps on those slots

Sponsored Links
Not sure on the fixings that have been used, how long are those?

Yep, they're all fine, use some Stelmax 1965 along the quad opposed to white silicone like what's been used around the 45mm trims, that will finish it off and won't discolour.

Yep, they're all fine, use some Stelmax 1965 along the quad opposed to white silicone like what's been used around the 45mm trims, that will finish it off and won't discolour.
Thanks very much for the advice, you're a legend.

Will pop out and get the materials tomorrow and get the job finished.

make sure the drainage is working by pouring water into bottom of door frame and observe it flows out of the drainage holes.

I am and have been a window and door service engineer for more years than i care to say
Have a few times come across new doors where drainage hole not connected internally.

Under frame .Try to use low modulus or neutral cure clear silicon, clear silicons always sets a lot harder than colored including white.

You should really not touch it though if recently installed.
the company who installed should come back and finish the job

THE JOB IS NOT FINISHED

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back