uPVC door problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m having a problem with an external uPVC door which appears to have dropped slightly, i.e. the gap between the top of the door and the window above is noticeably slanted.
In order to lock the door on the inside, the door needs to be pushed with great force on the outside by a second person.
I need to know how to get the door straight and also sort out the lock so that two people are not needed to lock it.

Sponsored Links
Got a picture?

Normally, on the hinge side - under the hinge covers or similar, there will be a hex head screw - allows adjustment to make it square again.

Or depending on the hinge / door design - it could be like this:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg105/tuggy1/hinge.jpg

This will probably fix your lock issue too, once aligned properly.

Door needs to repacked (toe and heeling) first, then use the hinges for minor adjustment.

The link does appear to show the type of hinge involved. All I want is a quick fix to solve the problem, I do not wish to remove glazing to adjust the slant of the door.

Sorry, the instructions for inserting an image are not easy to understand but will try.

Taking into account that comments made about badly fitted doors indicates there are thousands of badly trained fitters out there, based on the number of doors I see with this problem!
albums

Sponsored Links
'toe and heeling' really is the first thing that should be checked, that is what keeps the door square, if it hasnt been done the door will 'drop' becoming slanted. pics of the hinges would help, im guessing its an 'open out' door with flag hinges?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back