Advice on lintel placement please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps

Could really use some advice as I'm unsure the best way to go about a problem and my engineer brain may be over thinking things.

In trying to get a removed wall (by a previous owner) signed off it turns out that they didn't do a good enough job and I need to put in two new joists. Simple. Now I have had one end prepared ready for the joists, the other end is beside the front door over a wooden lintel and a window. As I planned to move the front door at some point I have decided to get it done now. I'm getting my builder to do it as it's way out of my current ability or knowledge.
The problem is that the builder seems nervous about how much wall needs supporting.

This picture show what the builder wants to do. (Not to scale obviously)
Green = New fron door and window, Yellow = new brick work, Red = New lintel. So he wants to sit a lintel on top of the original, the gap above the door/window to be filled with timber

View media item 61590

I figure this is best. Cutting the original lintel in line with the original brick and fitting new lintel on new brick

View media item 61591
The builder seems to be nervous about how much wall requires supporting to install the lintel but I don't see that his method requires any less support. The only difficulty I see in my method is cutting the beams which I don't see as that hard.

So what are peoples thoughts?

Sponsored Links
A picture of the outside would be far better.
Will do one tomorrow, Not sure it will help though, Outside is rendered and there is a porch as well. What specifically would help?

As a side not as I have been talking with another friend about it. The Floor joists for the 1st floor run in parallel with this wall. The steel beam showing is actually two I beams, not attached to each other, and the wall construction is solid brick, with block above the I beams.

That lintel seems to have a dangerously short bearing of about 80mm when it should be 150mm.

Also; is it a single story, garage conversion, flat roof?

Sponsored Links
That lintel seems to have a dangerously short bearing of about 80mm when it should be 150mm.

Also; is it a single story, garage conversion, flat roof?

Hi saladdays. How do you mean short bearing? Are you talking height?

The wall shown is the two story external wall to the front of the house.

To give you a bit of history, the property was extended originally by some have a go builders. Then had porch, conservatory and windows added by the owner before me who did not pick a quqlity workman to do the jobs. I have since added a 2nd extension (unfinished) and am now working on the original house to put everything how it should have been in the first place.

Follow the wire from the lightswtich and you'll see two lintels. The bigger one seems resting on 80mm of brick. That's not enough!

I'm with you. That's fine, that is the bodge I'm planning to rectify. The issue is what with the builder planing to put the new RSJ on top of the old one. He's worried about the weight to support. As fa as I can see you need to support the same amount of wall no matter which way you do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back