Advice on loft boarding - load considerations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning.

We had a quote to have once side of our loft boarded, so we can use it for (light) storage, i.e Christmas trees, few foldaway chairs for big dinners etc.

We've received a reasonable quote from a reputable company which I'm inclined to continue with, but I would like a common sense check prior to the work.

The first picture is of the loft space, with the main floor/ceiling beams depicted in colour. If it's not obvious the green 2x4's run 90 degrees to the bigger beam.

The second picture is a cross section, depicting the fact that there are 3 of the larger 2x8 beams, one in the middle and one at each edge where they meet the rafters.

The chap has said they would install timber cross bracing spanning the three 2x8's, so to my knowledge there'd be no weight on the 2x4's (am I right in saying they're just holding up the ceiling)? This seems sensible to me but I am ignorant to roof loadings and don't want to cock up.

Are there any issues I should be aware of? I intend to make sure;

- The boarding doesn't go right into the eaves, to allow for ventilation
- The boarding leaves an air gap above the insulation, to prevent condensation

Untitled.png

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-24 at 11.11.38.jpeg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back