Advice on loft disaster needed please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a builder in to open a very small loft so that it could be used as a storage/computer area. There was no written agreement (it was a relative) After months of complaints about the quality of the work/time taken etc. I told the guy to get lost and not knowing how good the work was, called in a structural engineer who has told me that the house is 'unsaleable' as purlim beams have been removed.
The builder is demanding £5,000 for the work but doesnt know that i've called in a professional and intend to get legal on him. Any advice pleas?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear, thought that maybe someone else would have had a similar problem with a tradesman.
Very sorry to have sullied your little empire with my question.
Thought that forums were supposed to be about 'communities'. i.e. people living together and helping each other out. Obviously I'm wrong again.

I had to look up the meaning...
But
You Didnt :LOL:

We cant help it if we cant help you.
We all love to help

Sponsored Links
biggy said:
The builder is demanding £5,000 for the work but doesnt know that i've called in a professional and intend to get legal on him. Any advice pleas?
don't pay him anything,

get everything thouroughly documented by a professional (the structural engineer) and if possible multiple witnesses of its condition before you have any corrective work done.

if you intend to go down the legal action route get the lawyer involved ASAP so you don't make any screwups that will make the process harder.

Back