Can i remove these beams from my loft ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Could anybody please advise me if i can remove these 2 beams in my loft, if i do remove them i was going to re cut them and move them higher up and then also put 2 supports each end of the loft as per the yellow lines, Not great art work i know :D

The current beams seem quite loose in the middle if i shake them the move quite a bit.
Im no builder so have no idea if i can move them

Any advice would be great

oh the reason i want them moved is because i have re insulated the loft and laying down flooring going to use the loft for storage

Thanks in advance

Regards

Lee

Sponsored Links
What you have here is a purlin roof, and the timbers you intend to remove are called 'collars', usually 4"x2" spaced at 6 foot intervals.
These collars are in tension, and help prevent the roof from spreading either under its own weight or with the added weight of snow. Without them, the walls of the house could happily be forced outwards in a bow.
You intend to install 'hangers' - which are good at supporting the ceiling rafters below....if you intend to load the loft space then they are a good addition. I'd say leave the collars alone - they arent there for fun - but the purlins do give excellent support to the roof.
So - go for hangers, and leave the collars as they are.
Only my opinion!
John :)

Thanks John for your reply

I think i will take your advise a leave them there
would it not be a good idea to put them a bit higher or shall i just leave them ?
if i did put them higher i would have loads more room to move around

Anybody else have any comments ?

Once again thanks John a least i know what they are called now

Regards

Lee :D

Leave them unless have someone who knows like a structural engineer To calculate the loads in your loft

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back