Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our builder is on site for our loft conversion. He has laid a heavy long beam but one support is on the edge of the brick wall of the garden elevation and the metal spreader under the beam extends to the top of our first floor small bathroom window. The builder reckons its okay but I am unsure - is this safe to do?

Also, I have a removed chimney breast about 1/2 metre above loft level floor with 2 brackets under 2 flues. Now that I am converting my loft, the builder has supported the top beam and 2 floor beams on the chimney breast party wall. Would I be able to remove the chimney breast a bit higher up to 1 metre below the ridge of the house? Would the party wall structure be safe?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Post some pictures please; that'll give us a much better idea. As to the chimneys, have chat with your neighbour, and see how they'd feel about removing the chimney completely. If you go too high up, then you've got a danger that it'll be top heavy towards you. You might be better off leaving as is, and facing off the wall so it's straight across, but the BCO will tell you what he'll allow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back