Loft Conversion: beam placement problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody,

We’re doing loft conversion with a builder who leads the project and skilled works performed by experienced sub-contractors (roofer, joiners, bricky etc.)

As of today the following works done:
- Chimney partly removed (down to loft floor level)
- Old Insulation from ceiling removed
- Timbers (beams, joists and rafters) preliminary built in one half of the loft – Part 1.

The other half - Part 2 - of the loft (which previously had a converted room – stripped off) is not done yet in terms of timber.

MAIN PROBLEM

Beam placement in that other half (Part 2).

Two sub-problems here:

1) The bottom front wall is not continuously solid but consists of parts connected via beam 5. That beam 5 is too thin (W23cmxD16cm) to support the new loft floor hence we can’t rest beam 4 on it.
The latest idea from our builder was to partly replace beam 5 with rsj but the beam is likely to be continuous (5a + 5b =5) hence this is not possible.
Fortunately I found a piece of original solid wall in the corner (8) which is hopefully wide enough (~30cm) to rest the end of beam 4.

2) Even if 1) is doable, there is a crossing of beams 2 and 4 – which I don’t know how to deal with.

Why do we need beams 3 and 4?

Probably because of the velux window (7), which needs to be supported.

Why I can’t clarify this with builder?

The builder went ill a few days ago and may stay ill for a while (weeks). Thus while he’s ill I want to clarify with you what possible solutions we have.

Why am I in rush?

The project is frozen for uncertain period and winter approaching. All insulation from loft has been temporary removed to enable conversion. The house will be freezing soon.

Our builder can be hasty on decisions and often takes ’trial and error’ path – which costs us money and nerves. Thus when builder returns I want be prepared with workable solutions instead of wasting time for discussing “what if” options.

If the worse comes worst and we can’t find a good solution – we may end up leaving part 2 of the loft unconverted. But with 3 months into the project and money spent (20k already!) that would be a real, real shame.

Many thanks for your advice and help!

Beam placement problem.jpg

P.S. I’ve also attached the full loft conversion layout to give a fuller picture.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back